Largest animal CLEAN kill you've made with a .223 ??

Ive shot many whitetails....not southern goats,NW Pa. corn n clover fed whitetails w/a 223.I also used a rem600 222 to take deer which was my first rifle.
I had a relative(he's long since passed)who always hunted w/a .22 hornet and shot more deer than you n I ever will! Its not the arrow,its the indian.

Last edited:
I have shot several large does with a Rem 788 using a load of 26.5g of Win 748 with a 55g Sierra(3100 fps), and my last Antelope was at 470 yards and dropped in his tracks with the same load.

I shot two does with an AR at 270 yards with the 53g triple shock, one dropped, one ran 70 yards Using a load of Benchmark.

Brother has shot half a dozen using 24.7g of Benchmark with the 55g Hornady out of his Bushmaster Heavy barrel that shoots 3/8" groups

Countless hogs up to 225?# (guestimate) w/55 gr. NBT and a good number of S. Tx. whitetail does (to 110#) while culling. Why the 55 NBT? Most were shot while putting the hurt on coyote population. No pics of the does, but here's a few of the hogs:

This was the first for me w/223.

Double at the water hole; one on left & one on right of tree.

Doesn't pay to be tail end Charlie!

A pair to draw to.

Probably one of the larger ones.

I did learn not to shoot between the eyes on large hogs facing you with the 55 NBT's. They splash, or at least the only one I tried did. Saw the splash in my scope; won't do that again, but placed as the last picture depicts yield 100% results.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Killed a 100lb doe with mine last year....blew out entire front shoulxer on exit side. 50yd shot, she ran about q0yds and drt.
55gr hornady sp

Leave it to the newb's to dig up the oldest can's of worms they can find and give a fresh opinion on them. I still think .223 is too small for bigfoot...

Originally Posted By: MPFDLeave it to the newb's to dig up the oldest can's of worms they can find and give a fresh opinion on them. I still think .223 is too small for bigfoot... Its all about shot placement!

I very cleanly killed a smaller black bear from about 100 yards, 53 grain ttsx where the head/neck meet...it went down so fast i didnt know what happened! Ill post a picture later

Originally Posted By: 10ring1True. I have read (heard) that a 22 lr has killed every animal on the planet. Is that true? your probably correct? I head shot a coyote with a Ruger Takedown 10-22lr from about 30 yds, dropped in his tracks. On private land took a management doe from about 75 yds. with a .223 55gr, she ran about 20 yds and dropped.

many many deer with .22 cal rounds of different flavor. Of course that's almost the biggest animal to legally take in KS though....! I've also shot many hogs with 22 and 6mm offerings. None complained.

I turned in a poacher for DROPPING a 4x5 mule deer in its tracks with a .17 HMR at night. He shot it right in the ear and I imagine he was using V-Max bullets. Either way, that guy is a turd.

I carry an AR 15 stocked with 55 gr Barnes bullets on my snow machine all winter. Works great from fox to caribou. One of my students once killed 3 polar bears with his Mini 14. the 223 is Very popular up here in Alaska.

Old thread, holy cow.

Doe at 202 yards with 62gr TSX. She went 40 yards after the shot and left a blood trail. I know, hard to believe.

So far I have 3 doe and 1 buck that have been killed by me and the the 223.

No offense Hildalgo, but killing a Tennessee deer with a .223 would not be a problem. I have seen many of Tennessee deer in my travel. Heck I even hit one in my big rig with little to no damage.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorNo offense Hildalgo, but killing a Tennessee deer with a .223 would not be a problem. I have seen many of Tennessee deer in my travel. Heck I even hit one in my big rig with little to no damage.

No offense taken ... by any means. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with the 223.
thumbup1.gif

Back