Leupold VXR vs VX-3 glass?

beagler

Was wondering if there is a difference between the quality/clarity of the glass between the Leupy VXR and VX-3 glass? I have two VX-3's and really like them. Was considering a VXR with a Firedot 4 reticle for night hunting. Interested in the illuminated dot. I have an older Muller Sportdot on my CZ 527 now that clouded up and wanted to upgrade.

The VX-R line shares the VX-2 characteristics. It is a good optical system, but not quite the VX-3 quality.

How old are your VX-3's?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-R line shares the VX-2 characteristics. It is a good optical system, but not quite the VX-3 quality.

How old are your VX-3's?
I have one that is less than a year old and another that is 3 years old.

I have the newer VX3 (30 MM tube) with the upgraded coatings and VXR. The coatings, etc are better on the VX3 but not a huge difference.

The VXR has an etched reticle which is bolder and I can see it easier (not using the illumination) under a full moon over the VX3 wire reticle.

Now with that being said, the VX6 would be the best of both worlds plus a true 6x system...IMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-R line shares the VX-2 characteristics. It is a good optical system, but not quite the VX-3 quality.

How old are your VX-3's?

Sir is it the same glass for sure? Or just to your experienced eyeball it looks the same. I've been trying to find this answer and can only get speculation. So it would be nice to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: skinnyminnyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-R line shares the VX-2 characteristics. It is a good optical system, but not quite the VX-3 quality.

How old are your VX-3's?

Sir is it the same glass for sure? Or just to your experienced eyeball it looks the same. I've been trying to find this answer and can only get speculation. So it would be nice to know for sure.

Under the descriptions on their site, they are the same.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: skinnyminnyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-R line shares the VX-2 characteristics. It is a good optical system, but not quite the VX-3 quality.

How old are your VX-3's?

Under the descriptions on their site, they are the same.

I guess your right. It says the vx6 is the same also. Now that surprised the [beeep] out of me. I never noticed that before on the leupold website. Thanks for sending me back to look in more detail.

The VX-6 has the twilight lenses. An upgrade to the VX-2 and such, but similar technology is shared between the VX-2 and VX-3, with a 6:1 zoom to make the VX-6.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-6 has the twilight lenses. An upgrade to the VX-2 and such, but similar technology is shared between the VX-2 and VX-3, with a 6:1 zoom to make the VX-6.

Seems like a vx2 is a best buy for the money and features I'm thinking. If they make one with a 30mm tube I'm getting it this year for my new build.

How much adjustment do you need to require a 30mm?

Originally Posted By: skinnyminnyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-6 has the twilight lenses. An upgrade to the VX-2 and such, but similar technology is shared between the VX-2 and VX-3, with a 6:1 zoom to make the VX-6.

Seems like a vx2 is a best buy for the money and features I'm thinking. If they make one with a 30mm tube I'm getting it this year for my new build.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760How much adjustment do you need to require a 30mm?

Originally Posted By: skinnyminnyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-6 has the twilight lenses. An upgrade to the VX-2 and such, but similar technology is shared between the VX-2 and VX-3, with a 6:1 zoom to make the VX-6.

Well in building a 6mm something so I want some adjustment in her

The 1" versions will get you to 1K with a 20 MOA rail, easily.

Look at the MK-AR, it just may be what you're looking for. Cost and feature wise.

While I don't have a VXR, I do have VXI, VXII and VX3. I lined them all up and looked through each individually. The VXI seemed to be the brightest, the VX3 was the clearest and the VXII was the balance of both but not quite to the degree of the I and 3.

Originally Posted By: 10ring1While I don't have a VXR, I do have VXI, VXII and VX3. I lined them all up and looked through each individually. The VXI seemed to be the brightest, the VX3 was the clearest and the VXII was the balance of both but not quite to the degree of the I and 3.

In order to compare brightness, they must all be on the same power (not just by the number on the ring, but actual magnification), and have the same objective lens diameter. They all have different optical prescriptions, so getting them on the same power can be tricky.

Back