Decoy Dog Question

Hopefully I can ask this question without looking too stupid
unsure.gif
. I bought a Kemmer Cur this fall to tree squirrels and raccoons. I have always loved coyote hunting and thought this would be another great way to spend some time hunting behind a dog. Up until 15 min. ago I was under the impression that training a decoy dog was fairly easy after his obedience, go out and the dog learns from experience what to do but after reading several posts on here doesn't seem like the case. That's beside the point, my main question is, has anyone had any luck at all using a dog that knows how and wants to tree squirrels, as a decoy dog? I will put him through obedience training so having him sit still on a stand, and return to me using a training collar hopefully isn't going to be too difficult (I haven't trained a Cur before, but my pup seems very smart and I expect him to catch on quickly, and from what I’ve read curs catch on quick) but making that transition from treeing to a "cat and mouse game" is what I'm unsure of. So just wanted to know if anyone had any experience in this and also some good ol fashion opinions. Thanks

mine don't tree squirrels but they bay hogs, work cattle, beaver, coons and anything else I put them on and work coyotes, if the dog minds you shouldn't have any problems. it ain't hard but it ain't easy either, you will have to work at it but going from one animal to another wont be where you have the problems

Thanks trapper2, that's exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted to see if there were people out there that used these dogs for multiple game that is completely different ways of hunting and they still performed well. Thanks again.

It's frowned up but my dogs chase rabbits, kill skunks, possums, armadillos, coons and rats just to name a few. Since they don't hit a track and just need to stay on it I let them have at it. They will work cattle pretty decent too. Another thing I might ad is I use a collar but I can't remember the last time I had to tone a dog back. They figure it out pretty quick, at least from what I've seen. They don't mess with anything domesticated because they don't enjoy having the living fire shocked out of them. The problem will be mosquitos.

If your dog is "gamey" it will probably take off after a coyote if it sees one. If you have the right coyotes, you wont have to worry about the tone very much, they will honor each other and it usually just works. I would say use the collar VERY sparingly. The human is usually the problem when it comes to dog training. Let them do their thing and stay out of their way and things will work themselves out. Don't worry about your dog and make him come back because you think he is going to get hurt. Most can take care of themselves. Also, when you think it is time to shoot, sit your gun down for another 5 minutes.

Now you are on your way to grey hair, possibly baldness from pulling it out. Hope you don't think it will kill you more coyotes. A lot of the time, you will kill more without a dog there.

I have a mt cur dog that is starting to decoy but not enough coyotes around here. Not sure if a coyote and a squirrel was in front of him which he would pic to go after. I don't hunt during the day very often but when walking to a different stand and he sees or smells a squirrel he's going after it.

Some really good advice above for you.

Upon occasion Tucker will tree a coon or a bobcat on a coyote stand. Some guys wouldn't like it. We just play with the game of the day. No squirrels yet though, but that would be okay with me too.

batman1262 sure has that right, Craig. Tucker is one good looking dog, ready for the task at hand whatever that may be.

What's your mt cur weigh doubleck? He looks to be a good size. My mt cur is about 56 lbs now. He'll tree squirrels, & coon. I can't wait till he starts putting cats in the trees. I haven't had him on a coyote yet, but that will happen this season. I thought he was to young last year, (he's 1 1/2 now).

blush.gif
Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted By: TNYotehntrWhat's your mt cur weigh doubleck?

She is just under 50lbs. 35lbs. would be about perfect. But then nothing else about her is perfect either. But we do have fun! LOL!

We started all of this at a very young, tender age (her age not mine. A beagle cross named Tim started me at a very young, tender age half a century ago. LOL).

When I put a Garmin on Miss Tucker it changed everything for me in terms of letting her hunt like I needed to.

Don't mean to get off track. My point is just that if you put the time into one of these Cur Dogs, the rewards can be well worth it.

You got the advice you need in the previous replies above. Good luck have fun!

Based on what I have seen out of mountain curs and blackmouth curs, their big goal in life is to totally bond with their owner. Once they get the idea about what you want them to do, they'll do all they can to please you.

Just looking at Tucker would please me. She is a real beauty.

Great looking dogs, all of them. Love the Airedales, as no coyote wants to mess with one of them. I'd say Tucker and Spud would be all they would want and then some. Thanks for posting.

Back