Hornady TAP for deer?

GaryO

A friend has a piece of whitetail land where the shots are never more than 75 yards. I was wondering if the Hornady .223 TAP 60 grain Urban load would suffice. What say you? No lectures, please...Thanks.

Could it work - yes with precision placement. There are better, much better loads available.

With info you provided, No. There is better ammo out there that will provide better and more consistent results.

With all the anecdotal stories on here of guys getting splashes on coyotes if they hit bone with the Vmax, I think you would be limited to only head/neck shots under 100yds (not that I'm an advocate for those).

As others have stated, there are much better options that would allow for more shot potential or longer ranges (200 yds).

I've had great luck with the 70gr Barnes TSX. The 62gr TSX or Nosler 60gr partion would probably have a very similar POA/POI at those ranges as the 60gr TAP if that's what you have.

What's the reasoning for wanting to use the 60gr TAP?

There's a couple threads on M4carbine.net in their hunting subforum discussing deer loads. There is also good info in their Ballistics subforum showing the gelatin tests for the TAP.

Does the non-lead bullet rule apply there?

Last edited:
I think you should seriously consider a more solidly constructed bullet for deer size game. Your 60gr TAP URBAN is a police load designed for rapid expansion with minimal penetration. Here is an OUTSTANDING link to evals of your bullet and mine (drop down to page 60 for your load)

I have been shooting the 55gr TAP Barrier load which uses a GMX bullet (California Legal). Much better penetration for larger game.

http://www.hornadyle.com/assets/site/files/Hornady-LE-Military-Application-Guide.pdf

Blacks Hills makes the same load as does UltraMax... All use the 60gr Vmax although Honady TAPS utilizes nickel plated brass.
I have a friend who has used it for culling does with good success. I think the plain ole Remington 55gr coreLokt SP does fine as well. Of course we're talking Texas deer that you could throw a coffee soaked doughnut thru'em.

Last edited:
Back