Opinions on compact calling rifle

My compact calling gun has been a Contender Carbine in 22 Hornet for 20 years . I even have mine equipped with a Choate folding stock and a small hard gun case just for storage in my car . Mine is stainless and rides with me most of the winter. If i was setting this up today I would probably go with a 223 barrel and a 1 in 9 twist . However , my Hornet has never failed me.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you already know what you like. There is a nearly unlimited number of options available. If you are set on a 243, even in factory guns you are still pretty unlimited.

I plan on going with a Browning X Bolt Predator Hunter in .204. Even with a heavy sporter contour they only come in at a shade over 6 pounds.

Im not sure why anyone would consider a single shot rifle to be appropriate for predator hunting. Im sure the "one shot is all you need" argument will be thrown in here. But for doubles, follow up shots and the like a single shot is just not practical.

If Browning is what you like, you are in no way limited in offerings from them that fit your bill

Jake

Originally Posted By: Bradley Horry I am planning on getting another compact .243. What are your guys recommendations?
Earlier this fall I bought a Remington 700 SPS Youth model in 243 for a "truck" gun. They have a 20" barrel and an 1" shorter LOP than the regular SPS's.

So far I'm really liking it.

What not get a Browning X-Bolt in 'Micro-Hunter' size? The actually 'Micro-Midas' is geared toward a youth, you may be older now.

I know because I bought a Micro-Midas for a Niece last Summer, 243, left hand. I do have an X-Bolt Micro-Hunter, 20" barrel, handy.

Originally Posted By: RamjetMy compact calling gun has been a Contender Carbine in 22 Hornet for 20 years . I even have mine equipped with a Choate folding stock and a small hard gun case just for storage in my car . Mine is stainless and rides with me most of the winter. If i was setting this up today I would probably go with a 223 barrel and a 1 in 9 twist . However , my Hornet has never failed me.

I also use a Contender with a 16" factory 22 Hornet barrel. Have a 16 & 21" 223 barrels but the Hornet stays on all the time. Can't beat it for a compact rifle.

Sorry guys its been a few days since I've been able to get on. muskrat30 I meant the micro hunter, I'm in my 20's, I just get confused about which is which.

JakeM - I didn't know Browning made that model of the Xbolt. Do they make it in .243?

and GTOHunter - you might want to pick that one up. From what I hear they don't make that rifle anymore.

Thanks for all the opinions. When it comes down to it I guess I need to get the Micro x bolt or A bolt. I had a savage .204 and loved it, but with the bullet being so light it wasn't good with the Oklahoma wind. Plus I'll probably deer hunt with it some too and a .243 is a little more versatile round.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: ZzzWinchester compact featherweight.

Good choice......I've yet to see one of the new FN Winnie's that wasn't a shooter......wish they made em in 222.....

My favorite lightweights are a 700 Classic or a slightly modified CZ527 ......both with 22" sporter barrels and wood stocks....unless you spend some serious money wood stocks are actually lighter than synthetic and WAY lighter than laminates.....

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ZzzWinchester compact featherweight.

Good choice......I've yet to see one of the new FN Winnie's that wasn't a shooter......wish they made em in 222.....

They're all made in Portugal now. Just picked up one Made in USA, but they are hard to find.

I have a kimber montana in 243 that is ideal for me. W/harris 6-9 inch notched bipod & loupey 4.5-14x40mm, It can go short or long in a lightweight set up. Had a muzzle break put on mine so I could watch the hits. Once you go light, you never go back.

Rem SPS Tactical with 16.5" or 20" if you ever considered changing calibers to a 223 or 308(not very "fur friendly"). Get them with threaded bbl for your suppressor needs. They are a little on the heavy side but compact. I am a big fan of the 243 though as I have used one in a Win M100 for deer and yotes for years. Wish they offered the SPS Tac in 243 but I'm perfectly fine with 308. I would love to see Winchester offer something like this in the M70 CRF action with the predator/tactical crowd in mind.

Originally Posted By: johralOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ZzzWinchester compact featherweight.

They're all made in Portugal now. Just picked up one Made in USA, but they are hard to find.

Dammmed if they aren't.....sad......what's next......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70

Originally Posted By: 243kimberI have a kimber montana in 243 that is ideal for me. W/harris 6-9 inch notched bipod & loupey 4.5-14x40mm, It can go short or long in a lightweight set up. Had a muzzle break put on mine so I could watch the hits. Once you go light, you never go back.

What do you think your Kimber Weighs?

The base Montana is as light as 5#2oz in .338 Fed and goes up to 5#6oz in .223.....more steel left in the barrel. I have one of each, plus a 7mm-08. With LW Talley mounts and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 (VH reticule) the .223 comes in at a touch over 6#s, and the .338 Fed with a Leupold VX2 2-7 x 33 at 5#12oz. I love the ergonomics on them. They are adequately accurate for their purpose, hold cold bore zero well for the first (and second) shot, although mine don't shoot great 5 shot groups if shot quickly. They can take a bit of work to find the right load, but heck that is part of the fun. Note that the .223 really didn't take any load work up and shot OK with all combos. The 7mm-08 was the most finicky and the .338 Fed was fairly easy to find a decent load for.

Kimber did not fix the weak firing pin spring when the 7-08 was sent to them, but my gunsmith did. It was the second Montana he had to fix with the problem. No big deal, just a 20 minute job that cost me less than shipping the rifle to Kimber did. If your rifle ever misfires, or opens and closes very easy while the firing pin is being cocked, that is a dead give away that the firing pin spring is too weak. Just get it fixed before it causes an issue in the field!

Back