Taking coyotes on a snowmobile

tripod3

What are your thoughts on using snowmobiles to pursue and shoot coyotes?
As an example some locals got together and sacked about 25 coyotes by running them down and shooting up close.

If it's legal I guess it's okay. I see guys around here kick them up out of fields and chase them all the time. It's basically the same thing. It'll definitely thin the population down and if it's on ground you hunt on it's not okay for you. It's irritating but it happens.

it is just like dating a fat girl or riding a moped. It might be a lot of fun but you probably don't want anyone to see you doing it. On a more serious note it might be OK for a rancher protecting his animals but there is nothing fair chase about it and I would have to say no for sport hunting

I hear about some guys out here run them on snowmobiles. They stop the snowmobile on top of them and wait for them to expire. Illegal here.

Should help the deer and antelope population. Airplanes get more than snow machines......... Just be humane about it and kill them quick as you can.

I have to agree with JCS... No sport in that! I think that each hunt should be like a personal contest of yourself. Most calling contests prohibit that type of shooting of a predator! Jmho, that's NOT hunting.

Its anything goes here as far as killing coyotes, BUT you cant drive off road on a lot of the federal or stat lands here.
As a KID a LOOONG time ago we did it all the time. Coyotes where worth $100 whole people used planes and helicopters too.
We would chase them but remember most snowmobiled would only got 30 or 40 mph back then, much harder to do. Had a sawed off stock 20 gauge DBL shot gun we used like a pistol AS we where driving. Or we used a baseball bat , when we got close we would whack them in the head, much easer on the fur.
We ran Jack rabbits to but you needed two machines they could turn way faster then us, the rabbits we would lean down and spry them with spry paint that way we could run one jack multiple times. Great fun different times...

This goes down to putting a serious thinning down on an excessive population, but not much sport in it. Most guys who love calling and hunting will take a dim view.

Here the coyote packs were so big when I moved in that they killed as many as eight or more of the neighbor's sheep in a night, I got serious about taking numbers down and wasn't very particular about how I did it, except for poison which I'm just against because of the indiscriminate nature of it. Taking down 20 plus coyotes in two years has made a dramatic difference in how many sheep get killed by coyotes. Mountain Lions are a different story. I refuse to pay a few hundred dollars for lambs to eat because I know predators will eat them first.

Left alone in an area coyotes change into a different problem as their packs get bigger.

I'll try anything once, some things twice. fat chicks included. But just like with chubby chasing I'd prefer to do any snow mobile chasing far far away from my own coyote population that I hunt in the 'sporting' manner.

Interesting to see many views, as I told someone yesterday, I don't see the fair chase part here, not to mention it's not legal here to shoot from a motor vehicle. Even leaning a loaded gun against the vehicle is a citation offense.
Calling is working on a coyotes level and even when legally shooting from a stopped vehicle they have a chance.
Snowmobile and Rzr/Quads capable of double the speed of a coyote hardly seems right to me especially on a group basis.

If it is legal I am not going to knock how a fellow hunter chooses to pursue and take animals. If it doesn't suit me I won't hunt that way, but if it is legal, and someone likes to hunt with certain things or certain ways I don't have a problem with it. I don't want to make any statement that some anti could use to try and further restrict hunting or gun rights.

Whats a snowmobile????

As a rider I can see the "fun" in it. As a rancher I don't care how you kill them, just kill them. As a sportsman and outdoors-man it is not for me.

I also don't hunt deer and elk by driving up and down the highway trying to hit one...

I think it's wrong. I'd rate it right there with running them with dogs. In no way would I describe either as hunting. Just my personal opinion.

I've done it before once. Killed a ton but once was enough. It was just killing not hunting or outsmarting them. The ranchers did love me for it [beeep]. 23 dogs in 8 hours between the 5 of us, puts a major hurting on the dogs.

I'd ask you, what is the purpose? I wouldn't call it hunting at all, or even sporting for that matter. If you were trying to reduce the population, and it is legal, go for it.

Ever see a pack of coyotes taking down a deer? Ever see coyotes eating the backside out of a deer while it is still alive, trying to get away? I don't think it bothers coyotes at all. Shouldn't bother you to run them down on a snow machine.

I've ran coyotes down on snowmachines before. I know that lots of people chase them down around here when there's enough snow for sledding. When I went I was with a local rancher who also happened to be my basketball coach and he was getting overrun with coyotes on his place. Within 3 miles of his house we saw 8 coyotes from the sleds, but could only get 2 down before they went onto neighboring ranches. We'd chase them for a bit, get them ran down, then park right on top of them. Then as they're crawling out from under your sled you finish them of with a 22 pistol.

Is it fun? HeII yeah. Them buggers are fast and fun to chase on a sled...really makes you a better rider.

Is it ethical? Definitely not. No sport in it at all.

I had a blast doing it personally. I kept the hides(my coach was shocked that I wanted to keep them) and had them tanned. Nice coyotes too. From a management standpoint, you can really do some damage to the population, but you're gonna get some frowns from people who see it as inhumane/un-sportsman-like (which it is). I still prefer to call them in, but to each their own.

Back