Vortex crossfire II

sigpros

Anyone using these? Good? Bad? Looking at the 3-9x50 with the vbrite for my sons ar. I'm a huge bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10 fan. But they are getting harder to find. I have some vortex binos that I think are great. Would this scope be good for an 8 year old boy on an 6x45?

Love mine, I have the 3 X 9-40 that I swap around between guns. You found a great scope and you can't go wrong for the price, the glass is great quality. V-brite reticle is one of the best i've come across, its a very small dot that illuminates and doesn't cause any glare when its real dark out. Highly recommended, i'm actually going to get another one but in 1 - 4 in the near future.

I'm also a huge Bushnell elite fan, HOWEVER my illuminated mil-dot reticle causes alot of glare at night even on the lowest setting.

Give them time, and they will break. They seem nice for the price and having illumination, but they are Chinese fodder. They are the most commonly returned rifle scope of any I have to deal with. I broke 2 of them myself, Vortex covered it, but I don't want to be the QC for them. For the same money, you can get better glass and better mechanical function.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Give them time, and they will break. They seem nice for the price and having illumination, but they are Chinese fodder. They are the most commonly returned rifle scope of any I have to deal with. I broke 2 of them myself, Vortex covered it, but I don't want to be the QC for them. For the same money, you can get better glass and better mechanical function.

Oh man don't tell me that just got 2 for Christmas for my 22 and 22mag. Hope they last long enough that I can do some squirrel massacring with them

Originally Posted By: BlingOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Give them time, and they will break. They seem nice for the price and having illumination, but they are Chinese fodder. They are the most commonly returned rifle scope of any I have to deal with. I broke 2 of them myself, Vortex covered it, but I don't want to be the QC for them. For the same money, you can get better glass and better mechanical function.

Oh man don't tell me that just got 2 for Christmas for my 22 and 22mag. Hope they last long enough that I can do some squirrel massacring with them

On a rimfire, you should be ok. Just get them sighted in and dont touch the turrets.

Originally Posted By: sigpros760 what do you suggest then?

Leupold VX-1, Sightron S1, Minox ZV 3

I had a buddy that shot a lot of rounds through a .308 that had one and never had a problem. I have a viper on my 22-250 and its been a dream. I think they are good scopes but the diamondback is a little better.

the crossfire has Chinese glass
the viper has Japanese glass. you can tell the difference in build quality and clarity but both work fine imho

i have several leupolds and the viper is a better scope than the vx2 i have.. but my vx3 is better than the viper but the viper has more features and is built like a B.S.H. and the clarity difference is so small i cant really tell the difference except in the occasional shadow.. eye relief is better on the vx3... in that lower price range you cant go wrong with a vx1 as 360 has suggested.

Last edited:
Vortex scopes are made:
Crossfire - China
Diamondback - Philippines
Viper - Philippines
Razor - Japan
IMO they make some really good scopes in the Philippines.
I got my information about where Crossfires, Diamondbacks and Vipers are made from looking at what is printed on the scopes. Can't tell you how I know where Razors are made but it is Japan. I think Razors are made by Light Optical Works and I'm pretty sure that is who makes Nightforce.

I used to own two Vipers, I still have a Crossfire Rimfire on a Marlin Model 60, it does a good job. I don't tell others what scope to purchase because everyone's eyes are different. I can only speak about my experiences. I would never use a Crossfire on a centerfire rifle, and by the way no one knows where the glass for Vortex scopes is made except Vortex.

From shooting friends rifles that have them, mounting a bunch of them and looking through them almost daily at work: I think the Diamondback is a good scope for the money. The Diamondback and Fullfield II 3-9x40 sell for the same price where I work. I'll take the Burris because to my eyes it is better in low light, and low light and bright sunlight clarity is the number one criteria I look for in a scope. YMMV. Viper glass is inferior in low light and bright light to other scopes in the same price that I've looked through but I haven't looked through them all. Eye relief seems short to me also. I've never looked through a Razor scope. My understanding is they are outstanding scopes for the money. I do have a Razor Mini-Red Dot I'm pleased with.

My take is this(excluding Razors), if you want features buy a Vortex, if you want better glass buy another brand.

Last edited:
I was impressed when i look through a crossfire today in a gunshop, im on the fence between a diamondback or a monarch 3 for my 22-250 ..18x is what i want for my next scope...its going on a 22-250. Which has better glass?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Monarch by a mile

Agreed.

Guys, where the scope is made is a minor factor, but the quality of the glass is where the difference lies. Different scopes on the same assembly tables can get different quality glass depending on the brand / model. I could care less if they are made in Haiti. It's the quality of the glass that I pay attention to.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Monarch by a mile

Agreed.

Guys, where the scope is made is a minor factor, but the quality of the glass is where the difference lies. Different scopes on the same assembly tables can get different quality glass depending on the brand / model. I could care less if they are made in Haiti. It's the quality of the glass that I pay attention to.

Agree also that the Monarch has better glass. Also agree the country of origin is not important but the quality of glass is, with the caveat that QC on Chinese made scopes is pretty spotty in my limited experience with them.

Back