Barebones hunt

Doc25

Figured I'd try to get a couple of stands in today after work. My drop off for the FHA auction is on Sunday so would like a few more coyotes.

Went across the road to the neighbours. Stand one, I was just running my 870 and was blowing a soft rubber remington wood duck call. This call makes a high pitched wine and I figured I would give it a try. I was in deep bush and produced nothing.

Stand two was in a gravel pit at the neighbours. Like I stated this was a barebones hunt. Left the electronics at home. Had two calls, the remington duck call and my new Carver open reed. To top it off on this stand I was only going to howl. Had both the 870 and the 700 in 204 with me.

I start with my best greeting howl. I wait a few minutes. Give a second howl. Wait. I look around and see a fox over my left shoulder. Bloody shotgun is in my lap! Get the 204 turned around and can't find it through the scope. I see it dash across a little opening and loose sight of him behind a pile of gravel. I grab the shotty again in case in rounds the corner on the pile but it doesn't show. Turn back around after giving up on him and let out another howl. I'm scanning the ravine I'm in and see something up at the top. It's the fox! Bang! Fox drops in it's tracks.

I start a jack distress sound after the shot and wait a while. Scanning the area. Nothing else shows. Recovery time.

Now I didn't have my range finder on me but from the amount of effort it took to climb that hill I would guess that shot must have been 1-2 miles! Lol. I could not climb that hill straight on and was half hoping I would just fall to my death so that I wouldn't have to continue. Even worse was that pit is in a ravine so I had to climb back down to the pit and walk back uphill along the pit road to get to my truck.

There is a fork pair of trees in the middle of the picture (looks like a V) that is about where I took the shot from. So that is how to howl in a fox.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Doc, give us your thoughts on why the fox responded to the howl or was he running away from the howl ? Has anyone on here ever saw a fox and coyote encounter ? If so what was it like ? Thanks for sharing your adventure Doc.

I have called in both reds and greys only to have a coyote come in on their heels. In both cases as soon as the fox turned and saw the coyote they bolted and the coyote kept his pace....never did seem like he wanted to catch the fox. Just to run it off

Thanks guys.
Lodgepole I was only howling when it came in. Maybe it was in the area? Maybe there were two and the first one headed out of town (the one I saw coming downhill). When I shot it it was on top of the ravine so maybe it was just curious.

Went out today as well. I was doing some howling and distress on the hand calls. Brought a coyote in. Missed the coyote though. Think the bullet hit a branch. Boy was I pissed.

Snowshoes thank god it wasn't a moose. Neglected to bring my tow rope as well. Had to cut the waist string off my winter whites. Lol. Good thing I have suspenders on them.

With coyote numbers down in my area I have called in a number of fox, its nice to see them.

Congrats on the success of your hunt!!

Last edited:
Good looking fox...I always thought foxes and coyotes don't mix too well.... interesting.
Congrats on the success

Back