Stainless vs Standard Barrel for AR-15 Coyote Rifle

NEO Hunter

I am getting ready to buy my first AR-15 for coyote hunting. I have decided on a Rock River Arms rifle and my last decision is which type of barrel. Is the added weight of their stainless bull barrel worth the added weight for the type of hunting I will be doing. I live in Northest Ohio and my shots will rarely be over 200 yards. The 100 yard range is more likely. It is unlikely I will be doing prairie dog hunting or shooting at those type of volumes. I am deciding between their Varmint and Coyote rifles. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have a rra 22", "bull" and it shoots lights out with factory ammo (for hunting I buy factory, long range stuff I roll my own). If you are going to use bipod or sticks than go with the bull. I find the added weight smooths out the shakes better. And all things being equal, unless you are using it for a billy goat hunt you are walking from the truck to your spot not so far away. Bring one less bottle of water and your total gear weight is the same.
One instructor I had once told me "if the rifle is too heavy...do some push ups"
And for me accuracy is king, I have found that if I can't get a rifle to shoot knots I never bring it out of the safe.

My coyote carbine shot lights out too... go light! Im going with the predator pursuit 16" next!! Pred pursuit, coyote rifle, nor the ATH will give up much if any accuracy to the bull barrels.

OK, I had a A4- Varmint...I sold it to a P-Dog shooter. When I bought mine, they didn't have a "Predator Pursuit" upper, or I didn't know to order it(RRA was a very young company then). The issue with the bull barrels, is balance. They make the rifle very front heavy. Yes, if you shoot off of sticks, or a bipod, then that isn't as much of an issue. But hauling it around, will get old fast, and again I come back to balance. If you want to test the balance of a bull barrel on an AR, hang 1 to 2 lbs of weight off the muzzle break of a light barreled AR-15.

My recommendation is get a rifle with an HBar(Heavy Barrel) profile, not a bull barrel, for anything other than colony varmint shooting. You won't notice any increased accuracy at the ranges you have mentioned, even if there is a measurable difference.

Finding one may be hard in this latest panic.

Squeeze

I shoot a RRA pred pursuit 20 inch. It shoots factory vmax's into one ragged hole at 100 yrds.

My friend shoots RRA "coyote carbine" 16",,,, its much lighter and shoulders really nice ! his shoots factory vmax's into one ragged hole at 100 yrds also.

you cant go wrong with either one ! mine is 1-8 twist and loves the 50 gr vmax's the coyote carbine is a 1-9 twist and his shoots factory 40 gr, v-max's lights out.

Go as light as you can with your AR. I have a Bushmaster Varmint Special 223 and it rarely comes out of the safe because it is heavy. I like shooting it but not carrying it around.
I am not an experienced AR guru but I would do everything you can to trim weight. A bull barrel when shooting out to 200 yards is not going to give you an advantage in my opinion over a standard barrel.

Hold out for a 20" Predator Pursuit, you will be happy. I have heard good things about the ATH also, my PP loves 55gr. V-Max's. 10 shots under a dime at 100 meters, I see no need for improvement.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullGo as light as you can with your AR. I have a Bushmaster Varmint Special 223 and it rarely comes out of the safe because it is heavy. I like shooting it but not carrying it around.
I am not an experienced AR guru but I would do everything you can to trim weight. A bull barrel when shooting out to 200 yards is not going to give you an advantage in my opinion over a standard barrel.

I agree 110%....I got rid of my 20" HBar....it sat in the safe all the time because it weighed too much for hunting in my opinion. I only use 16" barrels and consider weight on everything I put on my AR, they get heavy quick.

Back