Predator hunting light

coolbrze

Looking to get into night hunting more. Should I look for a new handheld, headlamp, or gun mounted light to hunt coyotes & fox with at night. Gun mounted would be on an AR-15 Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Which lights do y'all like best?

Contact any of the dealers on here who sell lights and they can talk you through it. They are listed at the top of the page under Sponsors.

Joe from night eyes is top notch great products and service. After hunting with a headlamp to scan and gun light to shoot it's a hard combo to beat

Lots of good lights out there. Wicked, Coyote, Night Eyes, just to name a few. It comes down to how you hunt. Do you have a partner or will it be a solo mission? If you have a partner, 1 scan light and one gun mount will work fine. If it is a solo, I would say a Headlamp and a gun mounted. You will just have to give it a try and see which way you prefer! Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpContact any of the dealers on here who sell lights and they can talk you through it. They are listed at the top of the page under Sponsors.
Don't see the sponsors listed on the sponsor tab.

Boondock outdoors, as sponsor here, is a great place, and the Hog light kit or predator kit work amazing..
Get the hoods for them..
He has a kit that comes with two lights. One for you hand and the other comes with a mount for the gun..

I scan with the hand held and when he says they see out to 500yrds, he isn't kidding.
I prefer the red for my eye's. (after a few hours, red is less tiring)
I use the hand held, then when i spot one, and it's on it's way in at that 300yrd mark, i look for the chance to switch and then will point high, and turn on the gun light that is way more open beam focused, and then bring it down onto the Coyote. and lift the other off, and then cut it.
Then i keep that light on just the edge and wait. Watch for them trying to get wind on me, and shoot when it's safe.. I then take out a laser and point it to where it dropped. My buddy will go get it, while i hold the light on it. we also trade off too..

This is where that flir hand held is handy.. They don't always just drop right there.

Not sure why you can't see them in the sponsor block because they are all there. I've listed 6 in alphabetical order. Pretty sure any of them can fill your needs and give you great advice, and there may be some others as well.

Allpredatorcalls
Boondocks
Coyote Light
MPH
Night Eyes
Night Hunting Depot

coolbrze,
Please feel free to email me at jeremiah@boondockoutdoors.com and I will help you get into a kit that will fit your needs and be best for your budget. I sell 6 different brand of lights and have extensive knowledge in night hunting may different species all over this country.

www.shop.boondock-outdoors.com

I'm interested in what the OP figures out. I've been thinking for a while that it would be pretty neat to do some night calling, but I didn't think it was legal where I live (Oregon). Then I found out recently that it's legal in Oregon for landowners to hunt coyotes with a light on their own land, and I live on a ranch. Score!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HighAltitudeHunterQuestion on this specific topic.... If you are scanning with a headlamp does it need to be a different color then white? What about the gun light? Tinted red or green?

I highly recommend RED for all lights while predator hunting, especially for people new to night hunting.

Originally Posted By: coolbrzeLooking to get into night hunting more. Should I look for a new handheld, headlamp, or gun mounted light to hunt coyotes & fox with at night. Gun mounted would be on an AR-15 Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Which lights do y'all like best? . 80-90% of my predator hunting is at night, I use Wicked lights for both scanning and gun mount! Red is what I would recommend, but I have used, green, white, Amber, blue..I also use in some cases an AR to hunt with which has a "Coyote Light" in red, works great, I usually scan with a red "Wicked Light" in the model 402-403. Reaches out great, in fact farther than a 3X9 scope will. May see eyes but seeing clearly at what your shooting at may be difficult?? I use a 6.5x20 for night. 3X9..great for day..jmho

Originally Posted By: HighAltitudeHunterQuestion on this specific topic.... If you are scanning with a headlamp does it need to be a different color then white? What about the gun light? Tinted red or green? some hunters believe coyotes cannot see certain color of lights, this is a myth! They see all colors of lights! Just some better than others. I would recommend your scanning light and a gun mounted light be the same color....Red seems to work best. I would strongly!!!! Recommend to NOT use a white gun mounted light! But some locations have the great opportunity to hunt yotes which are NOT educated, that comes into play. Where I hunt, seems every yote has a PHD in hunters. Lol

I have used night eyes for 3 years now, no issues with them. More than enough light. Great product , great customer service. All around great lights and company. Night eyes is the way to go.

+1 its great to know that if you have an issue with a product Joe himself will talk you through it and make it right. You are getting a top notch product and FoxPro level cs. It's really the way to go. I wont be buying anything else. Companies that provide that kind of customer service absolutly deserve to be recognized for that

Curious to see what the op goes with as I've been looking into this as well. Are there any major advantages to having your scan light handheld vs a headlamp?

Also, do you think money is better spent on a light for scanning or something like a digital night vision monocular for scanning?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm looking hard at the Wicked Lights. What are the differences in the 402ZF vs. the 403IC? Would you recommend red or green, or the combo (G, R, & W) light?

Originally Posted By: coolbrzeThanks for the suggestions so far, I'm looking hard at the Wicked Lights. What are the differences in the 402ZF vs. the 403IC? Would you recommend red or green, or the combo (G, R, & W) light? not a big difference, I have both of them in green and red., green will shine slightly farther than red, but red in my opinion is best. Difference is the butt end cap button of the lights between the 402 and 403. Both will take dual batteries and will interchange. 403 is about $10 bucks more on all predators.com. Absolutely great lights. But I only use the 401 for a gun mount due to the smaller size. Aesthetically looks better and illuminates almost as well. Never liked my lights larger than the scope. To add, when hunting with an AR, love the "coyote light". Scans and shines great and very light weight, but twice the $$$.

Back