Looking for double duty rifle? Coyote/Hog gun. Any suggestions?

reeko

I live on a fairly open ranch and would like to have a rifle capable of shooting coyotes and wild hogs out to 300-400 yds. Would like it to be easy to carry in truck or on ATV. I like nice rifles and optics so it would not have to be a budget package. Just interested in what other forum members would put together for this situation. Thanks in advance.

.243 also gets my vote. I shoot a Rem 700 BDL with 6x18 leupold target dot. Love that gun. And it is pretty. I shoot 85 gr Sierra HPBT with 41gr of H-380. And 85 gr Sierra led tips. Has killed numerous coyotes, 1 bobcat, and 2 whitetail dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Joey

Finding a gun that would kill a wild hog at 400 yards and still be called a coyote gun is kind of pushing the limits on both ends ain't it?

If you have hogs and coyotes on the same range it sounds like its a pretty warm area of the country so you might not be to worried if you ruin some fur. Sounds like a 7MM Rem mag or 7MM STW would do the trick, and if you use a stoutly constructed bullet you might not have much more fur damage than a little sewing can fix.

300 to 400 yrds on a hog seems a little much for consistant results with a .243

As long as your hauling it around in a P/U or ATV a Rem Sendaro, Ruger #1B, or custom beanfield rifle should fit the bill.

AWS

Last edited:
I would vote for an AR10 in 300wsm or 300rsaum...or an AR in 243/25wssm or better yet wait till the 300wssm comes out. an accurate gas rifle with extra mags on the side would almost bring home more yotes'--depending on the shooter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The gun shop I trade at has just what you need..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

50%20cal.jpg

Open ranch ....... hmmmmmmm. OK, I agree with the AR, possibly the new AR10 in .308 would be the BEST possible all-round weapon. Of course, the AR15 in .223 or .243, as well as the new 6.8 caliber would definitely get it done.

For ease of transport and maneuverability, the AR, in any configuration, gets my vote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

A nice cary rifle capable of taking coyotes and hogs out to 400 yds. Do you reload your own ammo. You will have to reload to pull this off effectively. Get a Rem 700 in 25-06 with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold. It will push 100 grain bullets at around 3300 fps. The Nosler BT will work on the Coyotes, change to the 100 partitions for Hogs. This isn't something I "think" will work. This WILL work. I have this setup. My rifle will shoot both bullets to the same POI. I shot a 250lb boar, at 300 yds with a 100 partition, he was not DRT. I hit him quartering to me in the front left shoulder, he ran about 50 yds. The Coyotes I have hit with the Ballistic were all DRT. They are dead before the bullet makes it out the other side. You will not salvage the hides without a lot of sewing, but he will not have to be tracked. This would be the best possible combination gun I can think of at this time. Randy

Is cost a factor? Auto or bolt? How sturdy is it got to have to be, in back of truck or on ATV. I like my SOCOM 16 with TC 2-7 lighted pistol scope in scout position. Use anywhere from 110 gr TAP to 175 gr M118 The 150 gr fragible will work very well coyote and hog as well.

25-06 would the the real - meal - deal in my humble opinion. Whe you added the Hog part to the distance, I kind figure that left the .22 calibers out. 243 would be ok as well, but I would still lean on the 25-06.

Thanks guys for all the input. Sounds like a 25-06 might be the way to go. I do like the Leupold 4.5x14 also. Appreciate all the help.

Remington action, SS barrel, composite stock in a 280AI... if you're not worried about cost of the gun or saving hides, that's the real deal...

No one has mentioned a 6.5x284 so it is a target calibre but there are a few good bullets in 6.5 arent there? Or maybe a 6.5x55 on a Rem 700 action, 1 in 8 or 9 twist kreiger barrel and a Nikon or Leupold varmint/tactical scope and you should be able to wring them out pretty good. I do like the 25-06 idea though get a good match chamber on it with a good barrel and hit them way out there way hard. Just my random meanderings sorry.

James Sturgell

Last edited:
Well, if you like nice, a Lazzeroni in 7.82 Warbird loaded with some of the bonded cores or TSXes will have the put-down thump at 400 yards for a hog or a coyote, or most anything else you'll find in North America. With a 6 inch 400 yard and 16 inch 500 yard drop off a 300 yard zero, it shoots pretty flat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Edit to add: The Warbird has the same downrange punch (energy) at 400 yards as the .30-06 has at the muzzle, about 2,830 ft/lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Having grown up on a farm, carried lots of guns on tractors etc, I reccomend STURDY and easy to clean, farm rigs are dirty.

Bolt gun or single shot. 4.5 X14 leupold is a wonderful scope. Yotes are easy, How tough and how big are the hogs? The guys around here shoot big hogs, over 300 lbs. is normal, my Brother shot one over 500. I love my 243 but I think the hogs take it out of the picture, I think the same about 25-06.

7mm STW? 270? 270 short mag.? or my favorite 300 winny.(not short)
You gotta see what the 300 winny does to a yote at 350-400 yards.

anyway, good hunting
Carl

Back