RRA Coyote Rifle vs Daniel Defense DDM4 V7

NEO Hunter

I was all set to buy a RRA coyote or ATH rifle then I picked up a Daniel Defense today which felt really nice. I found a DDM4 V7 at a good price. How do they compare to the Rock rivers for accuracy and quality? Thanks for the help

Quality wise Daniel Defense is one of the best out there, and will probably hold its value better.
Accuracy would probably go to the rra ath since it has 3/4 inch guarantee, and two stage trigger.
I own a DD m4a1 with an aimpoint t1 so I don't know its accuracy potential, and shot a few rra before and they ran fine.

Interesting question. I own both . . . have shot the RRA Coyote Carbine for over a year now and have killed several coyotes with it. All DRT . . . the Coyote Carbine is accurate but is a tad heavy.

Ordered a DDM4V11LW a couple weeks ago and mounted a Leupold VX-R 2x7 scope. Only one trip to the range so far and my impression is the DD is at least as accurate as the RRA . . . and it's lighter. In fact with the scope mounted (used Aero Precision lightweight mount) the rig weighs in at 7 lb 3 ounces . . . over a pound lighter than the coyote carbine.

I'm shooting the Black Hills 60 grain Vmax in both rifles . . . seems to work well in both based on a limited number of groups from the DD.

Went out today for a short hunt . . . took the DD and have to say it is a pleasure to tote in this hill country compared to the RRA.

Which rifle do I prefer . . . ? Well, right now I lean toward the DD 'cause it's newer and lighter. But I'm gonna' keep both of them . . . they're good rifles!

Rock River is a commercial rifle; DD is a mil spec rifle. The QA/QC is very different for a mil spec rifle. I don't know a lot about RRA and I don't intend to. Most people don't care if they have non-staked castle nut/gas key, if the rifle is over-gassed or if the feed ramps look like a toddler took a dremel tool to it. If you ever buy a BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske, KAC rifle and take the time to look at the fit/finish, you will be truly amazed.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaMost people don't care if they have non-staked castle nut/gas key, if the rifle is over-gassed or if the feed ramps look like a toddler took a dremel tool to it.Are you suggesting Rock River products aren't staked or have bad feed ramps? Maybe you should spend less time "looking" at fancy brand name "mil-spec" rifles and look at what RRA offers.

It's what I've seen. If you are telling me you are as/more likely to get a properly staked castle nut and gas key with RRA than the brands I mentioned above, you are 100% wrong. All of these rifles are expensive. I don't care how you spend yours. I will spend mine on products with attention to detail.

Wasn't Daniel Defense just bought by Remington? Or some other large company that has had some quality problems? Thought I Read this somewhere and thought it would have adverse effects on the DD quality eventually. Bring it down to make more profit for the new owners.

Daniel defense was never bought out, its still owned and ran by Marty and Cindy Daniel. DD makes most of its parts in house and has amazing fit and finish. In my opinion the only brands nicer than DD are LMT, KAC, and Noveske which all three will cost you more.

Originally Posted By: ilhunter59Daniel defense was never bought out, its still owned and ran by Marty and Cindy Daniel. DD makes most of its parts in house and has amazing fit and finish. In my opinion the only brands nicer than DD are LMT, KAC, and Noveske which all three will cost you more.

I couldn't agree more. My comments weren't meant to be insulting, but it's the truth.

I vote DD. They are sweet rifles that feel good in your hands and preform like a champ. I don't own one but have experience shooting them. I owned a RRA, and sold it. Gas key came loose, it was heavy, just wasn't a what I expected. The guy that bought it had the upper receiver crack on the front end and he never did a barrel swap or rail change or anything. I now own 3 Noveske rifles. I love them. The fit/finish/functionality/quality is outstanding. You won't regret th DD at all, the RRA would probably work also if you want it. My bad experience with the RRA was about 8 years ago. If I was buying an AR today I would get another Noveske or a BCM, DD would be my #3.

Thanks for all the responses. I know questions like mine tend to be similar to which is better " Chevy"or Ford". I am not familiar with Daniel Defense and wondered if their quality was as good as everyone says or if you are just buying the name. Unfortunately I don't have the budget to buy any of the other higher end rifles listed above. My firearms budget is limited so I am looking for the best affordable rifle for coyote hunting. At the same time I don't have a budget to by multiple AR-15 rifles so this will likely be my only AR-15 and I do want to buy a quality rifle. Thanks again.

Years and years ago Rock River put out real trash rifles and 1911s,,, they have come a long ways since those days !

Last edited:
Back