CZ 17 HMR: Buy a new 455 or look for a used 452?

roky0702

I really like the CZ 455 American and while reading older posts, I noticed a lot of you have 452's. Are there any pros/cons to either model or are they of equal quality and I would be fine with either one? Unless the 452's are too hard to find since they are discontinued and I'd be better off just getting a 455...? Also, any good places to buy that's the cheapest? Whittaker Guns has the Shamrock Edition 455 with a green wood stock that's only $350. Kind of odd, but interesting to say the least.

Kyle

I prefer the CZ 452 to the 455 because of the screw in barrel. Maybe I am too old school, but I had to pillar bed my CZ 455 Varmint Fluted to get the kind of accuracy I get from stock 452's. Yeah, I know a sample of one s pretty small. I looked for quite a period of time for a CZ 453 in .17 HMR before buying what has become one of my favorite rifles, an Anschutz 1517 D.

I have the varmint hummer, it's a tack driver, I haven't had a bad CZ yet and I've had 17HM2 and a .22 there's too much breeze here for the HM2 so I switched it up to the HMR.

Go on rimfire central or look at reviews and see what people are saying about the new model

I just finished shooting my 22mag in model 455. The 452-453 models are selling from 500$ and up on Internet it seems or that's what they are listed at. I'm well below that with my 455 and after just gettin done shooting it its accuracy is good enough for me golf ball group at 100 with a 2-7 scope that's decent enough accuracy for me cause the gun shoots better than I can hold. I'm sure someone that can shoot better than I can make that group smaller substantially

Originally Posted By: roky0702Do the new 455's still have the bolt handle/scope clearance issue?

Depending on the scope and ring combination you can get away with medium rings in a lot of instances . I own 4 CZ's , 2 452's and 2 455's and feel the quality is equal . Mine are 22 mag ,17 Mach II and 22 LR . My brother has a 455 HMR and it is a MOA shooter at 100 yards when the wind is calm .

Natebelle, what scope/ring combos do you have? I bought a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x AO when it was on sale for it. I read Talley has nice CZ rings, but I may also swap it to a Weaver base to use normal rings. I feel uneasy about those tiny rimfire rings.

I have the standard 452 and like it a lot, put a 3X9 Burris on it and I was good to go with the Hornady factory Alamo.

Originally Posted By: roky0702Natebelle, what scope/ring combos do you have? I bought a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x AO when it was on sale for it. I read Talley has nice CZ rings, but I may also swap it to a Weaver base to use normal rings. I feel uneasy about those tiny rimfire rings.

I use BKL air gun rings on all my rimfires except a couple .they are rock solid and reasonably priced .
CZ 452 22mag American- Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO ,BKL257 rings
CZ 452 17 HM2 American- Bushnell Legend 4-12x40 AO , BKL257 rings
CZ 455 22LR Synthetic- Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 rimfire model , BKL 257 rings
CZ 455 22LR Varmint- Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot , DIP picatiny rail , Accushot 30mm medium rings . Just enough bolt clearance for my size fingers .

Originally Posted By: natebelleOriginally Posted By: roky0702Natebelle, what scope/ring combos do you have? I bought a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x AO when it was on sale for it. I read Talley has nice CZ rings, but I may also swap it to a Weaver base to use normal rings. I feel uneasy about those tiny rimfire rings.

I use BKL air gun rings on all my rimfires except a couple .they are rock solid and reasonably priced .
CZ 455 22LR Varmint- Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot , DIP picatiny rail , Accushot 30mm medium rings . Just enough bolt clearance for my size fingers .

I started with BKL's on my CZ 455 combo gun but they were badly out of alignment....I don't like torquing a scope tube. I ended up switching to CZ brand rings and have no complaints with them

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: natebelleOriginally Posted By: roky0702Natebelle, what scope/ring combos do you have? I bought a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x AO when it was on sale for it. I read Talley has nice CZ rings, but I may also swap it to a Weaver base to use normal rings. I feel uneasy about those tiny rimfire rings.

I lap all my rings . I have never had a big problem with alignment using the BKL's . A little lapping and fit is good . I use an alignment bar to mount and final check the rings . Same as any other rings I use .

I started with BKL's on my CZ 455 combo gun but they were badly out of alignment....I don't like torquing a scope tube. I ended up switching to CZ brand rings and have no complaints with them

Originally Posted By: natebelleOriginally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: natebelleOriginally Posted By: roky0702Natebelle, what scope/ring combos do you have? I bought a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x AO when it was on sale for it. I read Talley has nice CZ rings, but I may also swap it to a Weaver base to use normal rings. I feel uneasy about those tiny rimfire rings.

I lap all my rings . I have never had a big problem with alignment using the BKL's . A little lapping and fit is good . I use an alignment bar to mount and final check the rings . Same as any other rings I use .

I also check alignment and lap my rings, BKL recommends against it but after seeing how far off they were I lapped them anyway....this was after considerable lapping....the other ring was fully cleaned..

I tossed those rings and put the CZ steels on

Back