Tipped SMK's...!?

So pretty much in the 2700fps range is what we're guessing on a 16"? Standing by to hear about some more kills.

Last edited:
I killed $125 for 500 of them
I will start killing targets next month.
X5BFmbb.jpg

Originally Posted By: loadedjoe2900 out of a 16" barrel is pretty hot John

i was banking on getting 2850 out of my 20" barrel
im going to work up a load with varget in between 24.5-25.5

i have 8208 as well.... is 8208/benchmark known for more speed with 69s?

2900 is too hot in my AR.

Benchmark has always worked better for me than Varget and is my favorite powder for 5.56 loads from 40 grs to 77grs.

Chronoed the 24.0gr of Benchmark loaded to 2.300 OAL, PMC brass, Rem 7 1/2 Primer

2820fps.

Not recommending this load but it is where I am going to run a few hundred to get see about brass life. If the pocket stays tight for 4 loading I am happy.

My standard load is the Berger 70gr VLD, 24.5grs Benchmark, 2.260 OAL @ 2825fps.

Using the ASC mags and loading to 2.300 OAL increased the pressure for this load and dropping back to 24.0 grs brought the speed back to 2810fps.

Not saying these loads are safe for anyone. Just posting my data.

Shot some paper today with 69gr TMKs, beautiful sunny day, 70 F with 9 mph L->R winds.
First time out with a liner comp muzzle break.

Good news on dinged cases,,, no more dinged shoulders(on 55).. thanks for all the help here at PM..
Combination of stiffer flat wire buffer spring, heavier H2 buffer, polished inside of ruff extractor claw, and padding on the deflector solved it.

Here's today's results from my 20" 1:8 GM 223 barrel, with 8208 XBR, CCI BR-4 primers, COL = 2.255", cheap brass:
23.6 gr => 2805 fps ave
23.8 gr => 2827 fps ave
24.0 gr => 2890 fps ave (my choice of speed & accuracy for yotes in this AR)
24.2 gr => 2960 fps ave (WSR primer and 2.250 C0L, 5 shots, only 3 recorded fps)

Only the last load showed minimal primer flattening, all other were good.
All cycled flawlessly and no ejector marks.
I shot 10 round groups of each except for the last, will add some target pics later.
Normal caution that the top 3 loads worked for me, in this gun, and ymmv..

Here's the STMK 69gr 8208 XBR pics, fwiw :
(not my best shooting, distracted with chrony, think the gun/loads have 1/2 the spread shown here)

159618786.rbfjq0HR.jpg

159618790.UnbtVQOU.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlHere's the STMK 69gr 8208 XBR pics, fwiw :
(not my best shooting, distracted with chrony, think the gun/loads have 1/2 the spread shown here)

159618786.rbfjq0HR.jpg

159618790.UnbtVQOU.jpg

great results for 2 targets 10 years apart
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: cjg_beefShould be sweet! Going to get some for my .22x68. I'm already shooting the 69 SMKs and it eats them up.

I got a box to try in my 22x6.8 hope it likes em!

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: cjg_beefShould be sweet! Going to get some for my .22x68. I'm already shooting the 69 SMKs and it eats them up.

I got a box to try in my 22x6.8 hope it likes em!

Let me know what kind of velocities you get. My new 22Dti loves the 77gr Tipped but trying to find a optimum velocity load.

Originally Posted By: HumpnessAnyone kill some more dogs with these yet? Curious of performance.
ive got a load made for the 69s in my ar now. just gotta find time to go call in a yote and try them out.

Finally got to the range yesterday to test some, and as it turns out the 65 JLK LD bearing surface is almost the same as the 69 TMK so I loaded up some of my old 26 gr. Varget load, seated to my VLD magazine length, and netted 3075 out of it and got a .7" 3-shot group. Went straight to 300 and it produced 2 shots in 1.5", then 425 was 2 for ~ 2". 223 AI/26" Hart 9T-

VLD mag bottom pic--

Also had a buddy testing his Savage bolt gun 243/87 V-Max load that wasn't doing well till he free-floated the barrel and it settled down, and we had similar results with his setup.

Last edited:
Finally connected on my first coyote after a couple of misses! Shot at about 100 yards with my DIY night vision rig and 69 tipped SMKs. Terrible hit, but it ran about 50 yards and went down. Left a softball size exit on the other side. No video footage of this one either, the DVR was overwriting and missed it!
mad.gif

The best part was my 17 yr old nephew was with me and was spotting on the thermal the whole time. We called in a group of 3 and he watched it all.
thumbup1.gif
I asked him later why he didn't pick up his rifle and shoot and he said "I was shaking too bad!!"

coyote2035620x20634_zpsloduf43d.jpg

coyote22054020x20304_zpsaujspd3l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loadedjoeanyone see the latest?
6mm 95gr TMKs with a .500bc
tt1.gif

Ordered some from Midway, should be in early next week.. can't wait.

Full story over in the Night Calling subforum, but short version is a 69 tipped SMK worked perfect on a 55 yard bobcat last night. High chest, frontal shot with no exit. Dropped and didn't even twitch. Handloaded over Varget out of a 16" BCM.

Also killed a coyote at 75 yards with same load. Terrible hit low in gut, no bone, softball size exit. Coyote ran about 50 yards and died.

So far, so good.

Last edited:
330 this last Nov. chest hit laying, coyote was dead on impact--

...but I swear that dog almost killed me. Tweaked my back skinning it, then retweaked it several times again. Took me out of the hunting game for a couple weeks.

Back at it couple weeks ago and nailed this dog at ~125. He ran about 100 yds. and fell over dead, but I think the bullet destroyed one lung and just clipped the other. Did him in though. One of the biggest and nicest dogs I've ever gotten, white-tipped tail, pale belly, brown backed. Beautiful big dog--

Gawd I love coyote season!

Thought I'd add to this old thread since it got a lot of activity last year. This dog was taken at 490 2 days ago. Marble-size exit wound. 2.5 Ball. Plex subtension units down from 250 zero I think it is. Bullet seems to be performing well so far as I can see--

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteFinally got to the range yesterday to test some, and as it turns out the 65 JLK LD bearing surface is almost the same as the 69 TMK so I loaded up some of my old 26 gr. Varget load, seated to my VLD magazine length, and netted 3075 out of it and got a .7" 3-shot group. Went straight to 300 and it produced 2 shots in 1.5", then 425 was 2 for ~ 2". 223 AI/26" Hart 9T-

VLD mag bottom pic--

Also had a buddy testing his Savage bolt gun 243/87 V-Max load that wasn't doing well till he free-floated the barrel and it settled down, and we had similar results with his setup.
Good shooting Steve

Back