Coyote coulee

Snowshoes

A cool morning at -23 and a windchill of -30 but can't let that slow a guy down
smile.gif

Off to the coulee's at first light and after parking the Tundra at a lease site, it was a matter of a 1/4 mile walk to my "look out". Set up just over the bank giving me a decent view of the rugged terrain below.
My view to the east.

My view to the northeast....

Play some low volume jackrabbit distress on the Foxpro Firestorm for a minute before muting. Scan the area for a few minutes but only see a few mule deer to the far east. Play some more jackrabbit and as I hit "mute" I see a coyote coming in from the northeast. The coyote stops and stands there for a half minute, then sits down. I try some lip squeaks but the coyote doesn't budge. Turn the e-caller back on and here comes the coyote. When the coyote clears the last patch of buck brush I bark to stop it, the crack of the rifle echo's through hills which seemed louder today for some reason. I look down to bottom and see the coyote laying there which means I now have to go down and get it! Nice female, range at 133 yards.

Left all my gear at the top and hiked to the bottom with just my deer/coyote drag harness on. After getting the coyote to the top and loaded into the truck it was off to the next spot. As I am driving out on the trail, I notice a dark object in the field to the south. Stop and glass which reveals a coyote that is hunting for mice.
Back up and park behind a thick stand of trees before making the 400 yard stalk. I use a small draw to hide my approach to a fence line that should put me fairly close to the coyote ( that is if it still there) Slowly work my way out of the draw and up to willow bush by the fence. Peak around the willows and I do see the coyote but its out 400+ yards. My e-caller is back in the truck but I do have an open reed call with. A few squawks on the call gets the coyotes attention and after a few seconds starts to trot my way. As it closes the distance I keep taking ranges and at roughly 225 yards the coyote cuts to my downwind side. I bark 3 times before stopping my target. A 212 yard shot has coyote number two down.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

are you about done "sucking" for the year
cool.gif

were those coyotes skinable?. the bottom one looks like he's got face-mange

Originally Posted By: borkonare you about done "sucking" for the year
cool.gif

were those coyotes skinable?. the bottom one looks like he's got face-mange

Nope! I have more coyotes that need to be hunted lol
Both were good coyotes
thumbup1.gif

Nice job on another pair SS.

I dont know about the coldish weather though. Ive gotten pretty spoiled this year so far, so many nice days. Im thinking maybe thats why its been kind of slow so far this year.

But I do like it when its nice and frosty lookin out though.
smile.gif
Looks peaceful.

Back