Tubb's Final Finish lapping ammo?

IAyoteHNTR

I'm putting this question in this forum since it's technically ammunition I guess.

Has anyone used the Tubb's Final Finish ammo for bore lapping a new barrel? If so, what has been your experience with it? I've searched and I have seen posted results that look very favorable, especially when looked at through a bore scope perspective.

I purchased a Final Finish .223 set to run down and hopefully help break in an AR-15 barrel on an upper (DPMS Oracle A3) that I recently purchased to try and get the best accuracy I can get out of a pencil profile lower end barrel. I wanted a very light AR-15 and that upper seems to get pretty good reviews overall.

Last edited:
I used the tubbs bullets on a Remington sendro in 7saum. The bore felt smoother after and was easy to clean. The rifle was new so I had no pre tubbs shooting targets to compare to. I have not used it since, it did not require all the bullets from tubbs to get the bore to a even smooth push from chamber to muzzle. Mike.

Trev, I would not waist your time on using them on that upper. If it is the one that I looked at it has a CM barrel. What I would do is go out and get yourself a couple 100 rounds of cheap ammo and shoot say 50 or so and clean then go truck hunting and the shoot another 50 and clean. Repeat a couple more times and call it good.

They might smooth out a barrel but you will also speed up the process of burning up the throat. Theres a reason a barrel feels smoother after using the kit, its taking metal out.

If you want to increase accuracy in an AR, find some cheap military FMJ and run 100-200 rounds through the barrel to burnish out any machine marks left by production...You will smooth out any imperfections with less wear than using the Tubbs...Any copper build up that might occur can be removed chemically with a good copper remover..A few years ago, I put together a really inexpensive AR ($524) and was able to produce the following target, rapid fire at 50 yards..17 rounds..

I've used this method to "break in" almost every AR I've owned, including my competition AR and never experienced a problem...There is an old thread involving an online match on this site (3-4 years ago) and I had no problems submitting .3" groups for five consecutive 100 yard targets if you want to look it up..

Tubbs final finish rounds are great for barrels with a lot of existing damage from misuse or lack of care, but as stated, it will speed up the throat erosion and shorten the usable barrel life on a semi auto..

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI am going to be trying one out soon on a 7mm rifle.

Are you talking the 7 RG with an X-Caliber barrel? Those are hand lapped, or so they claim, from production.

My opinion, for what it's worth is that the only one who benefits from Tubbs Final Finish is Tubb. Why would you buy a custom barrel and shoot grit impregnated bullets thru it ?? I don't get it but it's your party.

Yep reviews on the Internet are worth exactly what you pay for them.

I will ask again......you would buy a hand lapped custom barrel and shoot grit impregnated bullets thru it ?

That crap might be good for some factory tube that just won't shoot but a custom job ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706Yep reviews on the Internet are worth exactly what you pay for them.

I will ask again......you would buy a hand lapped custom barrel and shoot grit impregnated bullets thru it ?

That crap might be good for some factory tube that just won't shoot but a custom job ...

My barrel I want to use the ammo on is a low end factory tube. I agree that I wouldn't even consider using this on a custom barrel.

Sounds good You might get the same effect from some JBs bore paste and a cleaning rod too. My cheap Savage barrels cleaned up good with that.

Well heck, it's your cheap barrel so fire away, and then report back. Catshooter called it junk treatment or something similar like voodoo magic, and that's good enough for me.

I agree that you shouldn't have to use it on a custom barrel...but I have installed some that could have stood some treatment. First thing I would say is I have to wonder how many people that blast on this method have either A. Actually tried it on a rifle. or B. Own a borescope. Probably the same people that swear their cleaning method is the best and have never once seen the inside of their barrel!!!
It can help a barrel that fouls from tool marks. Not all custom barrels are totally without tool marks either. Douglas, Shilen and Wilson will all show reamer tooling marks. Factory barrels all have them and cut rifled barrels can appear pretty rough too.
You are not quite "firing grit" down your barrel...it is a lead bullet impregnated with polishing media. JB bore cleaner will not do the same thing. JB doesn't use grit or polish and will not "remove metal". Anyone that believes they are going to get tooling marks out with JB is going to be rubbing on the bore for a long time. They make another product called JB Bore Bright that is a polish but it is very fine and puts a mirror like finish on the bore. I have never been able to remove tool marks with that stuff either.
There are two ways a bore fouls with copper...most common is from the tooling marks and you want to be careful using this stuff without a borescope to know when to stop. The other way is from a rough cut throat. Fire lapping is pretty good at fixing that, but again you need to know when to stop. A rough throat will have axial lines running around it perpendicular to the direction of the rifling. This acts just like a file to the bullets jacket and shaves off copper with each shot. The copper is then melted into a plasma in the hot gas behind the bullet and coats the bore in a thin layer shot after shot. Fire lapping can smooth out a rough throat and cure the problem, but again...it's nice to know whether or not that is the problem and when to stop. Fire lapping can turn a barrel that needs some treatment into a fantastic shooter, but there is no guarantees.

Originally Posted By: msinc First thing I would say is I have to wonder how many people that blast on this method have either A. Actually tried it on a rifle. or B. Own a borescope. Probably the same people that swear their cleaning method is the best and have never once seen the inside of their barrel!!!

Well said!
thumbup1.gif

I have fire lapped a few barrels, 200grit Al Oxide, 500,800 grit. I can tell you that it is not something that you just do cause it sounds cool. Fire lapping removes metal, you can not put it back.

Old Turtle's summary is spot on.

Also, if you can find any, the old Rem Clean is 5 Micron Al oxide, and it will lap a barrel. About 20 strokes with Rem Clean on rougher new factory guns is all you would ever need, once.

I would never run Rem Clean or any other type of fire lapping down a new Rem rifle or custom.

I used to shoot registered Benchrest, and this whole thing of breaking in barrels is WAY overrated, and plays into the OCD of some folks. I have broke in a bunch of new benchrest barrels, but will never do it again.

Fire lapping does smooth out some rough barrels, but also extends the throat.

I would want to know the grit that is being used on fire lapping, and 800 is as large as I would use.

Back in the old days when Ruger rifles used to have really rough barrels, these were prime candidates for fire lapping and to get out all those tight and loose spots also. I RUINED a few guns on the learning curve.

Back