6.5 WSM

I'm getting the bug to put a rifle together. I'm thinking about building on a Savage action due to the success I've had with my 6br and the fact that I have all the tools needed. My question is, who makes a 6.5 WSM barrel and is this a round worth looking into? I don't have a WSM so that is one reason for looking this direction. From what I see, resizing 270 WSM brass should not be too difficult.

Any info would be great. Thanks

The a lot of the tactical guys are really big on the 6.5 SAUM. Case is a little shorter, so cartridge OAL works out what out seating the long and heavies back in too far, but still fitting in the mag well if that's an issue for you. Seems it may have overrun the 6.5 WSM as a wildcat at the present time.

6.5 SAUM 4S is where you should be looking. Hornady is now making brass for it. No sizing needed.

if you have facebook check out the 6.5 SAUM, 4S GAP FORUM.

Everything you need to know, you can find out there.
I'm getting ready to buy the rest of my components and I've asked a ton of questions on there.

If you do not have facebook, just google 6.5 saum 4s.
guys are getting 2500+ through their barrels.
A lot of them are using 8.7 & 8.5 twist barrels but 8 twist will work fine too.

I built a 25 WSM on a savage action, started with a hart 5 1/2 fluted barrel and had the smith cut the chamber. Rcbs made the dies and resizing 270 WSM brass is as easy as any other resize. I think the 6.5 would be sweet.

I have a the 6.5 WSM (Leopard) and a 6.5 SAUM.
Both work great. I use Norma 270 WSM and neck it down for my 6.5 Leopard's (I have two).

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherWhere are you guys getting your 6.5 SAUM brass or are you making it out of 7 SAUM brass?

GA Precision had Hornady make a run of around 230,000 pieces and it all sold out in about 2 weeks.

I guarantee you, if you want some brass, get on the 6.5 SAUM GAP 4s facebook page and let them know you are looking for some brass, somebody will sell you some.

Also, the next run of brass is supposed to be up for sale again in April.

Back