Flash of Flame

Wile E Coyotie

Funny how things go through your head in predawn light- The Rooster Pheasant in front of me broke from the path i waz sneaking on -it -took-on the run across the frozen river surface-it is just a dark silhouette and covered the 20 yard open run in a flash- against the fresh 5 inches of snow- I figured for sure I could get a shot had I had my little 20ga- instead of over my shoulder 16 lbs of Swift-

I had stashed the Tacoma into the irrigation ditch- Toyota Tuff- and made my way across the creek bed - through the red willows and onto a field open for 260 degrees of the compass --I have called hear before so going in with little lite on frozen river/creek surface for first light session i am comfortable with - the wind that can get going after day light can be worry and so after strongly advising myself all is in order i settled into my nest after taking time to set up the Box- 60 yrds out front with mojo spinning-

I have to sit while -? --for good light-- I have one theory -you gotta be smarter than the coyote- I finger the switch on the TX500 and select Pheasant in distress -
- I bring the volume up just so I can start to hear it - I really like the rush you get when the call starts to play - I don't use the the Pheasant often - but it sounds very good -and that excitement ball of near sick feeling wells up -- it can last a few mins -if your not interrupted by a hair ball streaking past you at 50 mph.

Here now down the edge of the field i can see a white yote standing-- time on the clock says 3.50 mins- I have taken the time to pre range the field and know he is inside 150 yrds
I do not want to move at first and stare at him for about 20 seconds- he is totally watching the Mojo-I have to pivot 90 degrees and center on him - he never took his eyes off the mojo- and stood there too long - with a flash of flame- # 982- adult male - white sable white- day lite -

I got the GOV call to help out at the sheep ranch - seem like there was some sheep severed up on Christmas eve and then again on New ys eve - cuz the coyotes were hungry-

I made sure that the rancher put his GIANT sheep doggs -away-- for my own protection- good grief this dog Goliath -stares down on me -and he hates me -cuz i smell like coyote once in the past-I would not get out of the truck in front of him - never--mayb with big stick -- regardless - the doggs are busy barking every night -all night- and they work hard against a very effective enemy so they deserve respect--he walks right up to the truck door and looks down into the window barking at me-- he is all black and the hackles are standing up between his should blades - looks like a mule
-as planned by phone conversation the night before all is good in the yard -i am happy to see there r no lights on at headquarters and no dogs barking - just sheep everywhere--as I pass through the yard without ruckuss--sheep up to the bumper-

Its early and with one in the bag - I have a plan for a 2nd set up -and within 15 mins - I am set up on S/e Quarter from farm- -I have some concerns not having total control on my wind - but about 35 seconds into it - i had 2 in front hard charging- at about 20 yrds the one out front took it square on #983 female sable sable white- I swung the rifle the direction of the departing other and rolled him -#894 - subadult male- sable sable white - he managed to get his legs back and make the creek bottom -leaking real bad to trail head

feeling real good about it - i picked up and hurried along to get another set up in -- down towards the south nearly out of road i set up by the cows and a stack of feed-
I parked the Tacoma and sat there had a little lunch and by 11:30 made my way to my nest - I have the box hanging in the only tree 60 yrds out-

Lots of Pheasants around so back to being smarter than the coyote theory -i select Pheasant in distress and sit on the swale rim with commanding view-- i watch as about 5 mins into it a group of magpies are harassing something --I know what this means - I am hoping Kitty Cat please -but - as they move I adjust my Bipod-- @ 15 mins -i catch a movement and sure enough here he comes for sure- slow and cautious but already inside the death zone- he closes to about 100 yrds - then starts to go for the wind - i cannot let this happen and give him a loud command bark -- no more sheep for him -DRT- #985 adult male white golden sable

I put in 3 more set ups to finish the day with 4- I did MT my gun late in the day - 4 rnds into the dirt- on a big Black Dogg who went for my wind at 350 yrds - his lucky day

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful coyotes.. Great write up and pictures. It made me feel like I was sitting off to your side watching it all transpire.. Congrate.

hey thanks man-- I would like to post on both but some body called beep-- will tell me i am pimping hits??-
must be thread terminology -- ?
may b if the title gets changed ?- i see others posting dual -
regards

Originally Posted By: Wile E Coyotiehey thanks man-- I would like to post on both but some body called beep-- will tell me i am pimping hits??-
must be thread terminology -- ?
may b if the title gets changed ?- i see others posting dual -
regards
Actually kind of looks like I have been missing out on some good reading by not checking the Great White North Forum more often. You guys really put 'em down up there.

Back