243 IMR4064

BEN243

After many years of shooting various 243's and 85 grain bullets using powders in the 4350-4831 burn rate, a friend suggested I try IMR4064 late last year. Although I've only tried a few loads using it, it has shown great promise especially in accuracy. Just wondering how may other guys are using this powder in a 243 and if you don't mind, what kind of loads you are using ? If any of you have "actually" chronagraphed any loads, it would also be nice to know what kind of actual velocities (not estimated book values) you are getting. BEN243

I don't care about the speeds but If I can not find a load that shoots well in my 243's or others with IMR4831 I go right for IMR4064. It is my back-up powder if I can not find 4831

Most everyone's 6mm rifle shoots IMR4064 well. It just plain works. My son's rifle shoots it better than anything we have tried.

I load 4064 as well. I use Accurate 4064. I load the 85's with 39gr of 4064 for my buddy and his gun shoots awesome with it. Around 3250ish. My old 243 loved 4064 with the 75gr vmax. Right at 3300fps. Tried varget but it shot horrible and slower. Varget had more of a fast, sharp recoil while the 4064 was more of just a push. 4064 is the first powder I try when I load for a 243. When I spoke with Walt Berger years ago, he recommended 38gr with a 70gr Berger. It was the first powder he mentioned.

Last edited:
I've been loading my .243 Winchester rifles using IMR 4064 for many years. My Remington 700 BDL likes my hand load of 38 grains of 4064, and will push an 85 grain Sierra Game King HP at 2980 FPS. This load will reliably produce .75 inch five shot groups from my rifle. The rifle may shoot better and faster, but I just stopped when I got these groups at this velocity. I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle chambered in .243 Winchester that shoots its best groups with a Sierra 75 grain Varminter HP. I load it with 38.5 grains of IMR 4064 that produces a velocity of 3180 FPS. This load gets me just under an inch for five shots before the light barrel warms up. These velocities are 10 shot averages over my Master Shooting Chrony.

Last edited:
Sounds like I should be trying 4064. I have around 8 lbs of it and don't currently shoot it in anything. Anybody tried it with the Sierra 70 gr blitzkings?

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSounds like I should be trying 4064. I have around 8 lbs of it and don't currently shoot it in anything. Anybody tried it with the Sierra 70 gr blitzkings?

Not with 70s, but it shoots lights out with 85s. Sierra makes a 85 grain Varmint bullet (#1520) that is extremely accurate in our rifle.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSounds like I should be trying 4064. I have around 8 lbs of it and don't currently shoot it in anything. Anybody tried it with the Sierra 70 gr blitzkings?

39g of IMR 4064, 70g Sierra Blitz king, Fed 210, touch the lands, great load, rem 700.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

39g of IMR 4064, 70g Sierra Blitz king, Fed 210, touch the lands, great load, rem 700.

Mine is 34.0 IMR4064 / 85 grain Sierra. Yeah, it's a bit on the slower side but it shoots bug holes.

Nice I love bugholes
smile.gif

I have friends who are using the same load I have been using since the 70 grain Blitz King came out, all are sold on it. 38.6 grains, IMR 4064. This load was given to me by Paul Box of Sierra. The only drawback I can think of with 4064 is it cuts kind of hard in the powder measure, but I have seen worse. It is a consistent, potent load. Savage, Sako, and Winchester rifles involved.

Originally Posted By: possumalI have friends who are using the same load I have been using since the 70 grain Blitz King came out, all are sold on it. 38.6 grains, IMR 4064. This load was given to me by Paul Box of Sierra. The only drawback I can think of with 4064 is it cuts kind of hard in the powder measure, but I have seen worse. It is a consistent, potent load. Savage, Sako, and Winchester rifles involved.

Is the above load work well in any 8 twists you have seen?

I have used 100 gr. bullets with IMR 4064 for years. Sweet ! Also my son & I load our 300 win. Mags with it also. Works great !

Last edited:
My old .243 loved 40 grains of 4064 and either 70 grain SMK's or 75 grain Vmax. Shot both way sub MOA "all day long"...

Only powder I really had pressure trouble with.. Safe one day and blowin primers the next....no doubt I was too hot...was working with a wildcat and making my own data.. But 4064 seemed to spike pressure faster than any powder I have ever used... I went to rl 15 with better results...

Back