Heart Attack Coyote

Ursus21

While most folks are inside trying to stay warm I'm in my element outside hunting coyotes in the winter. However, this one about did me in. I made a long'ish shot on him at close to 400 yards. (I'm absolutely loving this custom 6.5 Creedmoor I had built in 2015.) The trouble was he was in the bottom of a literal [beeep]-hole. As the crow flies he was nearly 400 yards, but on foot was a whole nuther deal. It was super steep, icy (read slippery), and just plain miserable reaching the coyote...and that was just the hike in. He died at the lowest point of the canyon he could find, and I was at the very top of the canyon when I shot him. It was a loooong way to the bottom! The hike out cannot be accurately described, and would have to experienced to know just how difficult it was. I literally would throw the coyote ahead of me a few feet, then grab a sage brush or some other small bush and pull myself up the hill to the coyote, then repeat over and over. For the next two days my arms were actually sore from all the pulling and throwing. The first 100 were as tough as any hike I've ever been on, and worse than anything I experienced in military basic training. The snow was about a foot deep, but underneath it was clay based mud that was frozen solid. Just FYI frozen mud is just dirty ice and extremely slippery. I huffed, puffed, wheezed, slipped, fell, cussed, pert near had a heart attack the entire first 100 yards. Then I finally found a faint game trail that wasn't quite as slippery as the rest of the terrain, though it was still plenty slick. It took me close to an hour to ascend my way back to the top. My partner said he was awful glad to see me pop back up on the ridge as he was seriously starting to wonder if I had indeed had a heart attack. Trust me, all the way out I was wondering if I was going to have one as well. It was -8 below zero and by the time I reached the top I think my personal body temperature was well over 100. I was on fire and sweating like crazy. I had to take my hat off as my head was burning up. My partner started to laugh when he saw the back of my head. Apparently despite being hot and sweating, the part of my hair that was exposed on the back of my head, had frozen into a white mass of hair, frost, and ice. He said there was a very distinct line where my hat was and where it wasn't. I wish I would have had him take a photo of it. Anyway, this is one of the smallest coyotes I've killed this year. Probably one of the least pretty as well, but the hardest earned one in a while. I'm just glad I'm still here to tell the story. Methinks I need to seriously drop at least 30 lbs as I felt every last ounce coming back up out of that [beeep] hole. Some folks might ask why in the world didn't I just leave it lay. Well because sometimes a guy just has to do crazy stuff to make sure he can still do it...even if it pert near kills ya!
Troy%20Coyote%201-2-16C_zpsogapoinh.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome story, I can relate to doing crazy insane stuff like tracking a wounded coyote for 3 miles to finish her off in deep snow myself. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Bobtails I've done that too. A guy has to finish what he starts. For me, that applies to coyotes as well.

Roger that. I trailed a coyote for miles one other time in and out of steep washes over rolling hills. Never caught up with it then the snow ran out and I lost the trail. I wasn't very happy about losing that one.

Bobtails, I've been in that same situation as well a time or two. I had one that I went back a couple days and tried to find, but could never turn it up. I hate losing any animal I've hit.

Bling, me too.
wink.gif

Good on ya for finishing the job. Kudos for "getting to the bottom of it". Pun intended.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Did you find my hat down there???
I think I was in the same hole the other day. If it wasn't for my boy being with me ( I won't die in front of my son ) I probably would still be there crows and eagles picking my bones. He pulled the coyote and me up the side of the brake for what felt like two miles.
DANG!
Are we sick or what.
I have the same whites that your in, good stuff!!!
I think I need to drop 30 pounds too.
Just add 15 or 20 years on to you and welcome to my world .

Great job

Jetman, I actually thought of you while I was up there. These were Missouri River breaks I was making my way around in. One just cannot comprehend how steep some of those breaks are until you are actually there trying to go up or down in them. I know you mess around in them a bit, so you come by your knowledge first hand.

Fine read and pic, please be careful where you leave that 30lbs, I don't need to get any of it on me. I have enough trouble totting what I got now.

Its a good idea to carry some of those nitro heart pills with ya! And your right thats just not a common montana colored yote is it ! You made me laugh with this story! Good job !

Last edited:
Good to get the blood pumping once in awhile. Glad you got 'er done Troy.

Course, it's also good to just say "eff that!" once in awhile too
laugh.gif

- DAA

I use to help a leathery old cowboy that was full of witticisms. He use to say, what doesn't kill ya will only make ya tougher! Good story as usual.

Back