6.8 mags?

Squeeze

Anyone have a strong preference for 6.8 SPC type magazines...Particularly 10 rounders? I have some 30 round Barrett's, that I trust my life to, in my HD 6.8, but they are a bit long to hauling around the field for hunting. I have one 25 round PRI, that has never failed to feed, but for the money, I would buy more Barretts.

For hunting, I currently have 3 PRI 10 rounders, and a new ASC 10 rounder showed up in the mail today. I have had near 100% reliability with the PRIs. Once or twice a year, and I am not sure why, on a full PRI, when I drop the bolt release on an empty locked back rifle, I get a round trying to "wheely" into that chamber, and of course the round is nose up in the barrel extension, pinned there by the BCG. Like I said, it is very rare, but it is almost like the round slips out from under the magazine feed lip, and flips up as the bolt tries to strip it out of the mag. Probably has to do with a absolutely stuffed to capacity mag, since I never get this kind of malfunction once the first round of a full mag is chambered.

So I guess I have two questions. One, does anyone else ever get malfunctions loading a full mag? Two, any recommendations on 6.8 SPC mags, or horror stories with 6.8 SPC mags?

I sure wish Magpul made 6.8 SPC mags, for the Mil-spec AR-15 magwell. I have asked them, and they say, "Never happen, not enough space to make a durable polymer mag body in a mil-spec magwell". If I want to pay LWRC's price and get "Six8" rifle, then I can get a Magpul 6.8 PMag.
frown.gif

Squeeze

I use ASC Grendel magazines in all my 6.8's and variants and have never had a feeding failure across many different rifles. I prefer the 10's but I happen to have a few of the bigger ones around. I like the extra COL you can use on them and so far would not even consider buying anything else.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I use the pri mags, have you tried contacting them about the issues?

No, but I really don't have enough detail to ask an intelligent question. It happens once or twice a year, on maybe 50 to 100 bolts closing on one of three magazines. I couldn't even say if it is one magazine, or even one rifle(I have three 6.8s/variants). What I do know is it always happens with 10 round PRIs. That is about it. And for me it really isn't an issue, as when I slam the bolt home on a 10 round mag, it is on the range, or getting a rifle loaded coming out of the truck. Not critical operations. If one of my Barretts did it when things go bump in the night, I would be concerned. I was just wondering if it is me, or is it something inherent in the 10 round PRI. It is a pretty tight fit getting that last round in that magazine. If I was really concerned, I would just load 9 rounds.

Squeeze

P.S. With the recommendation on the ASCs, and the significant price difference, I will probably buy more ASCs anyway.

I have ASC mags and picked up a Stoner, as well. Looks like the Stoner was built by ASC and then stamped AR Stoner. Haven't had trouble with either brand, but I haven't run that many rounds through them, either.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI use ASC Grendel magazines in all my 6.8's and variants and have never had a feeding failure across many different rifles. I prefer the 10's but I happen to have a few of the bigger ones around. I like the extra COL you can use on them and so far would not even consider buying anything else.

Greg
What C.O.L are you able to load to in the Grendel mags for 6.8? I can't get past 2.28 in the C-prod, If i could with the Grendel mags
(or 2.295 preferably) I'll snatch one and try it out.
Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dhurtOriginally Posted By: GLShooterI use ASC Grendel magazines in all my 6.8's and variants and have never had a feeding failure across many different rifles. I prefer the 10's but I happen to have a few of the bigger ones around. I like the extra COL you can use on them and so far would not even consider buying anything else.

Greg
What C.O.L are you able to load to in the Grendel mags for 6.8? I can't get past 2.28 in the C-prod, If i could with the Grendel mags
(or 2.295 preferably) I'll snatch one and try it out.
Thanks

New ones around 2.314 or so.

Greg

When I built my 6.8 AR four or five years ago, I bought three C-products 10 round magazines, and have never had a malfunction with any of them. I've been able to load out to 2.290, but that's pushing it, so I usually load to 2.285.

Back