NRA to be a No Show?

Orneryolfart357

We all know about the supposed "Town Hall Meeting with Osama Thursday Night. The NRA opted not to attend after being invited to what will mostly be a rigged meeting anyway.

Washington (CNN)—The nation's largest gun rights organization declined Wednesday to send official representatives to a nationally televised town hall with President Barack Obama on gun violence -- just days after the president reignited a discussion over this controversial topic.

"The National Rifle Association sees no reason to participate in a public relations spectacle orchestrated by the White House," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told CNN, which is moderating the live town hall Thursday evening in Virginia. The NRA strengthened its comment after initially saying the White House had "organized" the event.

The NRA, the most influential gun rights group in terms of political persuasion and financial contributions, boasts a membership of about five million people.
A CNN spokesperson said that it was the network, not the White House, that proposed the idea of a town hall on guns, and noted the audience would be evenly divided between organizations that support the Second Amendment including NRA members as well as groups that back gun regulation.

Obama on Tuesday presented a renewed push for further gun regulations, including background checks for firearms purchases through the use of executive action. While pro-gun regulation activists heralded Obama's renewed interest in the issue, his actions have been called into question about whether they would truly help stem gun violence.
On the overall issue of gun control, 48% of Americans support stricter laws, while 51% were opposed, according a CNN/ORC poll released last month.

The NRA and Obama have been bitter enemies on the issue of new gun regulations -- each accusing the other of engaging in politics instead of working to find solutions to end gun violence.

Some of the groups invited to attend the town hall, which will feature direct audience questioning of the president, include Gun Owners of America, American Firearms Retailers Association, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, among others.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/nra-obama-gun-town-hall/

I was taught never to get into an argument with a FOOL...It's like trying to teach a Pig to sing...Frustrates the teacher and irritates the Pig...

It's pointless to try to reason with BO.He lies constantly and the liberal media look the other way.The NRA response was dead on.They should enforce existing gun laws.Instead prosecutions are way down under Obama and he's releasing thousands of felons from prisons as well.

Obama is a complete idiot, wants to reduce violent crime, but releases felons early from prisons. Makes absolutely no sense, but the lemmings go along with it.

You guys are right. This will most likely just be another smoke and mirrors ploy. But as Stu said, it could be a missed opportunity, But we all know that Osama will never answer any tough questions anyway.

MAN.. WHAT A MESS-UP..

The NRA should have sent Ted Cruz and the other GOP canidates to the townhall in their place.

Let them get in there and advocate their support, or not, and then the poeple would clearly see who is on what side and how far on that side of the fence they really are.

While its probably true that its all scripted, I still feel the NRA should have made a showing. Now they are using it against us that the NRA did not show. This is a very big issue in the spotlight now, if we let it slide unprotested, what will they try next.

The NRA will release another Youtube video saying that it's wrong, and now a petition to congress.

I wish they would stand up and face them, and call out the lies. Lies are lies, unless you don't prove them to be lies, and that is what the public believes unless they are educated.

Personally, the NRA leaves a lot to be desired for action in the face of persecution. I am left feeling they are more interested in letting whatever be said and collecting fee's and then donating money to gov. officals running for office. But, IMO, I don't feel that it addresses the lies and people are starting to buy the lies. Also, they give millions to Rhino's that I would love to see go.
If they are giving money to politicians i wouldn't give a dime, then i stop giving them that dime to prevent someone that would actually stand up to this assault on the bill of rights.

The NRA itself can't donate to political organizations - only the PVF and ILA can do that. Their funding is separate. And remember, the NRA ILA and PVF only support politicians based on their stance on the Second Amendment. They don't care about or get involved in other social issues like abortion, welfare, religion, etc. As long as a pol is pro-gun, the NRA will likely grade him/her well.

There are a lot of folks dumping a lot of money into the NRA to SUPPORT their gun rights. It is a kick in the beans for the NRA to pick and choose where they go. I have said for years the NRA is hardly worth the change to make my midway order a whole dollar.

Jim

the NRA says that they were invited & told they would be allowed 1 question.

Can't say I can argue with them deciding to not go.

Originally Posted By: jimmypThere are a lot of folks dumping a lot of money into the NRA to SUPPORT their gun rights. It is a kick in the beans for the NRA to pick and choose where they go. I have said for years the NRA is hardly worth the change to make my midway order a whole dollar.

Jim

I agree that they should have been at this event, and I can see your point. The truth is though, they have to pick and choose. Despite having 5 million members, their funds are not unlimited. And when we're being outspent my folks like Bloomberg, we have to make every dollar count.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThe NRA itself can't donate to political organizations - only the PVF and ILA can do that. Their funding is separate. And remember, the NRA ILA and PVF only support politicians based on their stance on the Second Amendment. They don't care about or get involved in other social issues like abortion, welfare, religion, etc. As long as a pol is pro-gun, the NRA will likely grade him/her well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Enforced by IRS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:The NRA will release another Youtube video saying that it's wrong, and now a petition to congress.

I wish they would stand up and face them, and call out the lies. Lies are lies, unless you don't prove them to be lies, and that is what the public believes unless they are educated.

The reason the NRA chose not to attend was that each respondent was limited to only one question/statement AND that question/statement had to be pre-approved, supposedly by the sponsor (CNN) before permission to speak was granted. No follow-up was allowed! One can only speculate as to whether Obama was apprised (in advance) of the subject matter to be discussed. I have my own opinion, but.......

I personally was initially disappointed by the fact that NRA did not choose to participate, but after finding out that their hands would be tied, so to speak, fully understand that decision.

Regards,
hm

They were smart in staying away. They weren't invited so that there would be an open debate, they were invited so Obozo could make them look bad. One pre-approved question, and no follow up? Not worth the time.

Back