How big is this bear?

johral

I took this pic a few months back and was curious how big he might be. I have no experience at all on judging the size of a bear from its track, but to me it looks huge.

The cartridge is a 300 Savage (a bit shorter than a 308Win) - The overall length as loaded is a bit over 2.5" - so I would guess the track is between 7.5" and 8".

23587165603_b7c3119f6f_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm even less proficient at judging size by a track but I guided for bear over in OR foe an outfitter friend for a few years so I'm pretty fair at judging weight/size when I see one....
Here's a track from a Bear I watched walk across this road from about 150yrds....I'd estimate it at 175-200 (spring bear, maybe 250 in the fall).....probably not much help but that's all I got...

PS....size 9 boot....

I would guess maybe 150

I know this one weighed just over 550lbs (had been recently caught and collared) FYI size 13d boot

125 - 150 lbs. and I'd guess male, given size, fact he's alone, and you found the tracks a couple months back. Typcally the cubs will run with the sow until they're about 2, usually 125 - 150 lb range, at which point she'll chase the young male(s) off before going back into estrus. Fairly common to see tracks of that size in unusual places, as the young males wander trying to figure out what to do now that they aren't with momma anymore.

Up there in Washington State he may go a little heavier if he's fed up to hibernate, down here in Florida, they don't really do that. Sows will run the male cubs off late summer in their second year. Here they'll be 125 to 150 lbs.

I typically look at width of a track more so than length, a lot of times the heel doesn't contact the ground well, or doesn't show well in the ground or vegetation well. A front foot will typically give you a more consistent track by which to gauge size.

This one I figured would have tipped the scales at 500+ lbs. That's a Kershaw Volt pocket knife, 7.1" long. His track was right at 5" wide.

That's the bears back foot and hard to judge from back foot. Judge front foot width for size.
Looks to be a nice one though, as the impression is the whole foot. Most times on a small bears back foot you wont see the arch (so to speak) hit the ground and the heal will only partially hit.

When front pad gets to 4 inch wide its getting some size and 5 inch wide is getting big (most times)

Track looks fairly fresh. Get on him.

Back