Baiting

Lots of pics on my trailcam. My Chamberlin stopped working last year. We were sporadically spotting out the window with the hopes of catching eyes. My son actually walked out back and lip squeaked this one back in after he was spooked off.

I finally modified a driveway patrol that's been gathering dust for about 4 years. This guy came in right on schedule.

Last edited:

Nice going Pmack.

Last night I had a bit of luck myself. It has been at least 2-3 months since a coyote has visited my bait site. This coyote visited the night before last and was scared by the IR of the trail cameras. I decided to stay last night at the cabin in hopes of him returning. I turned the cameras off. He returned shortly after 9:00 PM but continued very nervous and not willing to commit to the bait, but rather he stayed up the hill a distance. He left once, then returned, then acted as if he would leave again. I took the shot, afraid he might leave for good.

I could easily have taken him with only the 940nm spotlight illuminating the area, but I like to try for better video so I waited. When the opportunity was right, I deployed an 850nm IR light (T-20 type) and took the shot. The 940 doesn't have any red glow at all and is very stealthy. I generally use that light when determining what is at the bait site, and then deploy the 850 illuminator for shooting.

I used a CZ 527 in .17 Remington, shooting a 25 gr. Hornady HP bullet. In keeping with tradition, the coyote dropped on the spot from the 17. The bullet did not exit. Distance was about 60 yards and my daytime scope setting was at 5x. The .17 Remington continues to amaze me.

I waited until this morning to take photos. It came a snow shower while I was in the process.

Here's the video:

Way to go 6. Nice pics and video. Wish I could get them to 60 yards! Very slow here for a week... I set some snares yesterday for the shy ones.

Congratulations 6mm06, I hope this is the beginning of a hot streak. I was particularly interested in the hit the 17 put on that coyote......devastating. I don't know much about that round, from your video it obviously works well.

You do great work David. Pics, video, shot, hut, and most of all you share everything here to help others. THANKS and CONGRATS!

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the good words. I do enjoy video and I also enjoy sharing as well as seeing what you guys do too. DoubleUp is a coyote killing machine and gets far more than I do. Kind-of makes my occasional success look pretty simple. I do keep striving for a better setup, but in truth I will be hard pressed to make it any better than it currently is. It has been a work in progress with a definite learning curve.

I have noticed over a period of time that in general, it seems that most everyone's bait sites have grown somewhat cold (with the exceptions of what DoubleUp does). I know that mine has. The coyote population here has dwindled from what it was just 3 or 4 years ago. I have taken a total of 12 coyotes at my bait site during that time, so that isn't a huge amount. I do know that they have a lot of hunting pressure here as well as the Game Commission's attempts at eradicating them via bait bombs. But, it seems that everyone has been slow for some time now. Makes me wonder if there is something to baiting that in time leads to less success. Just thinking out loud here without knowing the answer and would like to know what you guys think.

Bling, my night vision setup is simple and cheap, but flat out works. If you are interested in learning how to put it together, drop me a personal mail and include your e-mail address where I can post a Word document to. This simple outfit works extremely well and rivals the high dollar Gen 2 and 3 scopes in clarity, with some limitations of course.
For bait site hunting from the cabin, it's all I need.

6, I think most everyone has a fall off after they kill off the resident population and that depends on how large it is. It is true that they will repopulate and more will move in to replace the lost ones, but it might take a year or two. In your case, if as you were told, the gov. set poison bombs for them, then that really knocks them back. Plus, I don't have very many coyote hunters around me, and a pretty good population of coyotes. I think you're doing mighty fine for the conditions that you are working under. That 17 CZ of yours is a killing machine with those little 25 gr. bullets.

I am experiencing a big slow down as well at my location. I am camera challenged right now the camera I had at the site has been working on and off when I thought it was working all the time. On Sunday morning I had 1 bobcat at the site. After watching it for a while 2 more appeared. Having some doubts about the camera, I took my cell phone snapped a couple pics checked them out... pretty blurry for 200 yards. I then thought of 6mm06 and took the binoculars and put the phone camera up to the lens and tried lining it up and snapping a few. Not great... as the clearest pic has 2 at the edge of the woods......I will try to update with a pic. I found out later after they left and I changed SDcard ....no cat pics.....very disappointed. Camera in the dumpster. For me low coyote numbers may mean I have a new predator in town.

Trail cams are a vital tool in running a bait site. The problem is that most of the cams aren't all that reliable and usually don't last me over a couple of years and some not that long. Having out multiple cams pointing from different angles at the bait is what has worked best for 6mm and me. Still we get flub-ups from them. I think he is using a Moultrie and perhaps a Bushnell. I am running two Wildgame and one Browning. The Browning has been running over two years, but the latches broke (plastic) and I had to jury rig a way to close it tight, but at least it is still running. I have two Bushnell and 5 Wildgame that have already bit the dust. The only good thing about the Wildgame is that they take pretty decent video up to 30 sec., don't cost a lot ($60-70)for the blackout model, and I just figure on replacing them about once a year. If I get two years out of them that's good.

I think the newer Browning with only one plastic latch is a better camera and reasonable at around $100, but I'm pretty sure you are limited to 10 sec. for night video which isn't really long enough. I run all of mine with auxiliary battery packs.

Last edited:
Back