22x6.8 ar with 75 or 80 gr amax?s

zr600

Ok can a guy load the 75 or 80 gr amax in a 22x6.8 in the ar chassis? How would these be for longe range coyotes or would i be better off with a 6x6.8?

The 22x6.8 that RPG sells was not designed to shoot the long Amax bullets. It is geared more for the 69 grain and under length. You can shoot them, but case capacity will be cut short because of the bullet seating depth.

What would he the best catridge in an ar for high bc bullets for long range coyotes, or what bullet im thinking out to 600-700 yards.

Originally Posted By: zr600What would he the best catridge in an ar for high bc bullets for long range coyotes, or what bullet im thinking out to 600-700 yards.

Grendel or 243lbc sound good to me, but a 75 grainer in my 6x6.8 is tripping my trigger right now.

What about the 87 gr berger vld hunting or 87 gr vmax out a 6x6.8 will they work good and group good? This will basically be a dedicated coyote calling rifle. We get lots that sit down at 500-600 yards plus and wont come to the call. So this is what im trying to accomplish is in the ar15 chassis.

Last edited:
I don't use the Berger VLD 87's but the Hornady works. You don't want to suck up case volume if you can avoid it. The Berger 90 killed sn antelope at 646 with one of Ritch's loads.

Greg

I am getting same velocity out of my 6x6.8 shooting 90 grain bullets as I do out of my 243. Its just crazy fun. Dial and shoot = dead yote. I am going to try some 70 grain BT next to see how they run over XBR. I just got 9 inches of rain over 3 days so not getting out as much as I want to try stuff.

Ar15performance has a 5.56x42 barrel that will shoot the AMAX. There are guys hitting steel at 1000 with it. If it's something you're interested in what he has on his site is the last of them. I have one on the way myself.

the benefit to the 22-68 is pushing 22 caliber bullets faster than a 223 case can. its not suited to shooting heavy bullets. if you need to shoot a long ways with an ar 15 and are considering a wild cat, there are better options.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettthe benefit to the 22-68 is pushing 22 caliber bullets faster than a 223 case can. its not suited to shooting heavy bullets. if you need to shoot a long ways with an ar 15 and are considering a wild cat, there are better options.

Yeah it will only shoot 80's. In a bolt gun you might get a 90 in a fast twist. The Nosler 77's I shoot run side by side with the AMAX at magazine lenght.

Greg

Last edited:
I used the 87 grain VLD's out of my 6mm LBC and it worked really, really well. I got about 2800 fps with a 20" barrel and superb accuracy with a warminsh load of 8208,

Originally Posted By: zr600What would he the best catridge in an ar for high bc bullets for long range coyotes, or what bullet im thinking out to 600-700 yards.

I am not so sure you need a VLD bullet to kill coyotes out to 600-700 yards. I was flipping p-dogs with my 6mm WOA, launching 65 gr. VMax bullets, out to 500 yards, regularly with one shot, in WY wind. It probably has more to do with technique, wind guessing, and equipment, than the bullet ogive or length. One can get some pretty decent BCs on 6mm bullets, without going to VLDs. Certainly decent enough to be hitting minute of coyote, at 600 yards, with the rest of the pieces in place.

Squeeze

Back