25-06 ruin pelts?

monkey wrench

Just got for Christmas from my wifey a Remington 700 Long Range in 25-06 cal w/ 26in barrell. I'm stoked as this will def be one of my go to coyote guns. I'm planning on using 75 grain HP by hornady loaded to 3400 fps. My question is does anyone know if the pelt will get ruined using this caliber. I'm hoping that it won't ruin the pelt. Just wanting to know if anyone else's uses that caliber also for coyotes.

25.06 is a neat rifle and will usually shoot very well. I have had 2 or 3 over the years and tore up a lot of coyotes with them. I now shoot an old Remington 222 with beter results. Maybe someone on the reloading forum can help you with a load that is fur friendly.

I shoot the 75 gr hornady HP as well as the 75 gr vmax and speer 100gr hp. They hitt like a freight train. But I can't say they are very fur friendly. But you might get an occasional one that's not to bad off. If you are going to use the hides for personal use then learn to sew. Otherwise find a different weapon for saving hides.

In the late 70's and early 80's I shot a 25-06 for my Fur Rifle and then I would spend hours sewing holes. I finally switched to a 223.

I eventually moved on in life and sold my 223 and about ten years ago my son's wanted to sell some pelts. So back to the 25-06 I went. It was the same as before. It was turning them inside out, so I went back to the 223.

Not real pelt friendly most days. However, Ive always liked that caliber and I do shoot a 25-06 for coyotes a lot when the wind kicks up or in wide open rugged country if/when I just dont feel my 22-250 is getting the job done.

I use to use it mostly when I would do coyote derbys, cause you dont want to waste time chasing runners.
Mark

Define ruin....lol yes if you want to get the most out of your furs. No if you don't care about softball ( or bigger ) sized holes.

The 25-06 is on my short list for a custom wolf rifle I'm wanting to build. For coyotes, the few I have seen were shot up pretty bad. Might try a little heavier bullet that wont expand so aggressively. Either way, COOL PRESENT!

I shot the barrel out of a Rem Varmint and a Sako Varmint, coyotes and jack rabbits.

I shot the 100g Sierra BTSP on everything, and it puts a 4" hole in them out to 300 yards, often bigger.

I would try the 100g Barnes Tipped triple shock with a max load of R#19, win brass, and win primer, seated .050 off the lands.

Good luck and best wishes

Best luck I had was with the 100 grain noslar partition bullets, still going to be damage but can be reduced if you download to under 3000 fps.

.25-06 is what I use when pelts don't matter to me on a Spring calf-killer.

85 NBT at the liver will almost rip one in half.

Not my fur round. It is my killing round.

I concur with ackleyman and airedale56's comments

as others have mentioned... the light varmint type bullets will make a big mess out of them

I would try a little heavier tougher bullet and perhaps a little slower too if you hand load and can find a decent load. that has a decent chance to do less damage.

Try a 75 grain Hornady Vmax pumped up hot if that dont work try the heaviest match HP you can get ! I used one for years till i bought my
22-250. The guy that got me started yote hunting ran a hard cast lead bullet with a gas check in his! I did get really good at sewing up holes.

Last edited:
I have shot a lot of coyotes with my ruger model 77 25-06 and have had very minimal fur damage. I use the Remington 100 grain pointed soft point. side shots about the size of a half dollar and front chest shots turn the insides to mush. Just my experience. If you got the gun shoot it. I highly recommend the Remington 100 grain.

Back