Time of day to call for winter hunting-morning, afternoon...?

Yote Newb

I've got a FoxPro fusion on the way, my Hornady 55 grain soft points loaded up, my ar sighted in and ready to thump a coyote or two. I'm still new to this and didn't know if during the winter there would be a better time of day to go or not. Didn't know if first light would be better or if midday (when it's a bit warmer and small critters to eat may be stirring more) would be better. I'll be hunting on a family farm and they've been spotted/heard at all times of day so I think it may not matter to much but thought I'd ask opinions. I don't think anyone around calls coyotes there so I'm hoping for uneducated ones. Also, what calls do you like this time of year? I've done some browsing and figure from now till mid-January or start of February I'll use rabbit/bird/mouse/calf distress calls mixed with some confidence and crow calls. Then after mid-January start of February or so I could also trigger the matting response to call them in. Hopefully I'm on the right track but opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Winter time I've always had my best luck between 9am-11am when I catch them out mousing! Doesn't mean this is the magic time but has worked best for me. Call wise a lot of rabbit and also crow works for me. Usually rabbit for 3-5 minutes then switch to crow and sometimes toss in a coyote fox fight and then they come running.

I like to start hunting about 8-9am, and will hunt until dark.

I believe that coyotes will hunt all night, and will sleep/nap during the day. If they are snoozing, I can walk stand-to-stand with less chance of being spotted. Then my calling will be a wake up for them.

Another factor for me and getting out somewhat late in the AM is that coyotes can see better in the dark than I can, and if they see me, they won't be coming to the call.

About mid-January, I'll start to use coyote howls, as this is the time of year they get territorial in my area (Colorado), and howling works pretty well.

On average I have done best at first light.
Coyotes have this thing about staying alive by being unpredictable, especially when the pressure is on.

Quote:From November through February anytime between first light in the morning until it gets dark after sundown can be good calling.
I agree. Around here the only reason to go early is to get more calling time.

When it is really cold, especially on grey days, I prefer the middle hours. You can call one in anytime, but the middle hours seem to be more productive percentagewise.

Well not to disagree with all these nice folks but i say anytime in a 24 hour day is good. Whenever you have time to hunt will work. That is if your state allows it. Mine does !
tt2.gif

Happy New Years & Happy hunting !

Oh ya, Welcome to Predator Masters ! Use the "Google custom search" at the top of the page. Just type in what you want to learn about and read read read & ask questions on here too.

Check this out :

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113&page=1

How to coyote hunt :

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/coyote-hunting-101/

Last edited:
I seem to get the strongest responses in the late morning around 9-10. I have killed all but one of my wolves after 9am (that one was about 0820). I have always had a gut feeling that if they were unsuccessful hunting during the night then they come a running at mid morning, especially in the winter. If I could only hunt one 4 hour block, it would be 8am till noon.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try first light and not give up till mid-late morning unless it's real cold then I'll stay inside or go later in the day, LOL. I can always take a break and go in the house and BS for a while then try it again.

I prefer first light, before human activities push them back, and make them uneasy. Farmers show up moving irrigation, feeding cows, etc. Traffic gets heavier. I guess if you are in wilder country, it might be different.

Originally Posted By: wolftrapper I prefer first light, before human activities push them back, and make them uneasy. Farmers show up moving irrigation, feeding cows, etc. Traffic gets heavier. I guess if you are in wilder country, it might be different.

I think this is a very important point, my response was based on MY specific hunting area. There are no farmers, livestock or anything else. All of us will have region specific issues that need to be considered and you will have to figure out your area the old fashioned way, by trial and error! Good luck.

Whatever time of day there is less wind is when I do best. That is often the morning hours, but really I plan on making stands from dark to dark and get results at anytime of day here in Oregon. Especially right after or just before a storm front.

(You're gonna love your Fusion. On my maiden run with my Fusion just before Thanksgiving I got action at nearly 50% of my stands).

Have fun!

Back