Forming 20 practical with RCBS Dies/equipment

wheel10

I've been thinking about having a 20 practical made. While researching on how to make the brass, it seems everyone talks about using a Redding 223 FL die set with bushings and a 204 decapping rod assembly. I haven't seen anyone that has a procedure with RCBS equipment. I have a RCBS 223 FL die set for my RCBS press. Any help here or suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

You have to use the bushing die so you can neck down to 20 cal.It takes more than one step so you need to change size of bushing and your regular 223 die cant do that.

Bobby

Originally Posted By: dogduster204You have to use the bushing die so you can neck down to 20 cal.It takes more than one step so you need to change size of bushing and your regular 223 die cant do that.

Bobby

Going from 22 to 20 cal can be done in one step.

To the OP
A redding "type s" die uses bushings in it to size the neck of the brass to whatever size you would like. For instance, the use of different bushings in that die can get you 17/223, 20 practical, 6x45 etc... You can even use it with the correct bushing for a plain ol' 223.

You can see one here.

(The bushing is the little gold thing in the neck of the die.)

Originally Posted By: wheel10I've been thinking about having a 20 practical made. While researching on how to make the brass, it seems everyone talks about using a Redding 223 FL die set with bushings and a 204 decapping rod assembly.

Here's what baffles me. The general idea of a bushing die is to size the neck to a very specific diameter. Why would someone do that then use a 20 cal decapping rod assembly? In other words they size the neck with a bushing of their choice then let a 20 cal expander button screw it up when the brass comes out of the die. What you end up doing is over working the brass, you squeeze it down then expand it back out again, doesn't make a lot of sense. If the correct bushing is used, you don't need the expander button.

Included with the type s die is a small black part that replaces the expander button but still holds the decapping pin in place. It's called a retainer, if its not in the box you can call redding and they will send you one for free.

Redding, Forster and......... (Gulp)...Hornady and Lee dies will all fit your RCBS press.

Last edited:
Good reply Furhunter,
I ordered the 20 caliber decaping assembly along with the .223 s type redding die set. This also included the 20 caliber "retainer" button - which I think is a must when using bushing dies. From your questions it sounds like your just getting started in the reloading game Wheel, so be careful and have fun.

Anybody know the part number for the correct 20 cal decaping assembly? I have read all sorts of things.

My list so far is:
Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 223 Remington
Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 233 Diameter Titanium Nitride
Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 226 Diameter Titanium Nitride
Redding Decapping Rod Assembly #31203 (204 Ruger) (NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE?)

Originally Posted By: NCMTNBOYAnybody know the part number for the correct 20 cal decaping assembly? I have read all sorts of things.

My list so far is:
Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 223 Remington
Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 233 Diameter Titanium Nitride
Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 226 Diameter Titanium Nitride
Redding Decapping Rod Assembly #31203 (204 Ruger) (NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE?)

You have all you need there. I wouldn't spend up to the Ti bushings but I'm cheap. I used a 223 bushing on my last batch but may go up to a 224 on Winchester cases.

Greg

Also if you have a regular 223 die you can use that without the decapper/expander for the first step and only need the final bushing to finish.

Originally Posted By: NCMTNBOYSo that is the right decapping part #? All my Brass is LC. I have about 5k of it sitting around from the 80's.

That's the is not one. That's gor standard dies.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NCMTNBOY#14206 is what I had been reading, but midway did not have that number. I have found it on Sinclair. Thanks for the help.

You are right. Brownell part #749-002-155MB. In stock to boot!!

Greg

Last edited:
I thought i bought the right decapper when i started, i was wrong. Then i thought my lee universal would get the job done. I was wrong.

I ended up taking one of my regular .223 pins, chucked it in a drill and spunt it on so e sandpaper so it would fit.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI thought i bought the right decapper when i started, i was wrong. Then i thought my lee universal would get the job done. I was wrong.

I ended up taking one of my regular .223 pins, chucked it in a drill and spunt it on so e sandpaper so it would fit.

Chuck that Lee shaft up in a drill and dress it down with s file. I took mine down to 20 caliber and it does great.

Greg

Back