Opinions on best coyote bullet for my Savage .243???

Onedown

Brand new member here and brand new to coyote hunting. I have shot them from my treestand with my crossbow but never intentionally hunted them before. I just "pulled the trigger" on the purchase of a Savage Axis XP in .243. I was wondering what you folks think is a decent, effective bullet weight for these wiley sumbitches.

Thanks

Jay

I've used several and all kill the coyote, but of the ones I've tried, only one is consistently fur friendly... The Sierra 55hr blitz King. I load it on top of 49.5gr H380 at just a smidge over 3800fps. Never an exit.

I've been loading the 70 grain Sierra Blitz King ever since it came out. I seldom have an exit hole. It really messes up a coyote on the inside but not on the outside.

Originally Posted By: PowellSixOAre you reloading or just wanting over the counter ammo?

Sorry...over the counter. Settled on some 100 grain Sellier & Bellot at time of purchase, mostly due to lack of selection. I think I will either return them or save those for deer and look around for something better for dogs.

If you're buying over the counter, I'd stick to 70 gr or less. But that's just me. The ballistic tip style bullets are what you are looking for too. 100 gr bullets are going to just punch a hole right through them. So if your shot isn't right on the money, you'll probably see a bunch of coyotes run off. If I were to buy over the counter ammo, I'd be looking for something like this.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-ammunition...20ct-13129.html

The good news is that no matter what you shoot out of a 243 (excluding FMJ type stuff) it should be effective. With that said my two favorite bullets are 70 grain nosler ballistic tip and 75 grain vmax. I handload but both of those bullets are available in factory form. Never a run-off

I used hornady 58 grain vmax for years and it definitely does the job, as well as the new superformance 58 grain vmax... Depending on the twist of your barrel, which im guessing is a 1/9.25 stick with the lighter bullets and the gun should shoot pretty well..

I do not reload and currently using Rem. 80 grain pointed hollow pt. have not missed using these. at the time it was all I could get. will go to v-max when done with these.

Originally Posted By: nyttrain5150My Savage Axis loves Winchester Varmint X 58gr and it's been very fur friendly.

X2.....the Varmint X 58 grainers are almost magic out of my Savage Axis XP II.

Back