Ruger American up grade

Originally Posted By: FALFireOriginally Posted By: shooterfpgaOriginally Posted By: FALFireOriginally Posted By: Three 44sThe trigger springs on these rifles are very easy to change also.

With the action out of the stock, locate the pin that the trigger pivots on.

There is a E clip holding it in place. Carefully pull the clip and store it safely until it's time to reassemble everything.

Pull the main pin and the trigger will lift right out.

With a pair of small needle nose pliers ..... we are talking small ........ carefully work the spring that engages the back side of the trigger out and up.

Now, this spring is fairly stiff. I am sure with it in hand and some searching one can find a suitable replacement.

Now, don't try this at home ........... but I broke down a retracking ink pen and stole the spring out of it. Same diameter but longer.

A good pair of small side cutters took care of that.

My .223 compact came out a little light for my taste and I have the original spring saved and will take to town in the near future and go spring shopping!

A spring in between the original and my robbed and modified pen spring would be the ticket for me.

These guns are very utilitarian but also VERY accurate.

The OP has a very nice project going there and the former utilitarian gun is also going to look nice!

Very good and I certainly learned something here!!

Three 44s

Or you could just simply remove the spring, reassemble the trigger and use it without the spring installed. I tried it and it works great, trigger resets just fine, so far not a single problem. Try it, see if it works for you, if you don't like it, simply reinstall the spring.

Interesting. What is the trigger pull at now? In the ounces? And does the safety trigger still work or is it limp/non effective?

Trigger, safety, everything, works as normal, the trigger pull weight according to my Lyman trigger gauge shows an average pull weight just slightly less than 2 lbs and very consistent. I initially tried changing the spring as described above but then tried it without the spring and achieved the trigger pull weight I was looking for plus everything worked great.

Mine is the American in 243Win and it's primary use is a walking predator rifle.

Again try it without the spring, if you are not satisfied simply reinstall the spring.

Sounds good! I guess its similar to a few other triggers ive owned that have the safety trigger. With the the safety it usually adds its own weight to the primary trigger tension. 1.5lb is what my other hunting rifles are set at so 2lb is good enough. Thanks for the info.

After having this stock for a year, do you recommend it? I just picked up an American Predator in 223 and am mounting a Photon 4.6x scope on it and I need a stock with raised cheek. Thanks for your feedback.

Back