Armasight Vampire vs Sightmark Photon xt?

Coach512

Anyone have any experience with the vampire? This will be my first NV scope. Aside from the vampire being 3x it seems to be a better scope but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Im not sure if the vampire is better than the photon but I have spent some time behind one and with a good IR it is a very nice scope for the money and is very comparable to my gen 2 scope but is a step behind my gen 3 that im using now. the other thing I like about the vampire is that you can get around 40hrs with just one cr123 battery.

Originally Posted By: ah929rrIm not sure if the vampire is better than the photon but I have spent some time behind one and with a good IR it is a very nice scope for the money and is very comparable to my gen 2 scope but is a step behind my gen 3 that im using now. the other thing I like about the vampire is that you can get around 40hrs with just one cr123 battery.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I have a Photon XT 4.6 and it works well. I have no experience with the vampire 3x. I don't know what kind of area you hunt in, but the extra magnification might be of value to you. I see vampire prices at 750 and photon prices at 500. I would save the 250 difference and buy the Photon. It might be a little harder to get as there seems to be quite a bit of demand for it. From my experience, it is a pretty decent night scope. I've found a few coyotes that don't like it though.

I think you will appreciate the Photon. It works in the day, but not as well as regular glass. The black and white view takes some getting used to. I find it particularly good for those end of day times when the light is failing and dark is just coming on. The scope really excels then and that is prime time for predator hunting. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI have a Photon XT 4.6 and it works well. I have no experience with the vampire 3x. I don't know what kind of area you hunt in, but the extra magnification might be of value to you. I see vampire prices at 750 and photon prices at 500. I would save the 250 difference and buy the Photon. It might be a little harder to get as there seems to be quite a bit of demand for it. From my experience, it is a pretty decent night scope. I've found a few coyotes that don't like it though.

The most significant price difference between the two scopes IMO is the long range external IR illuminator that comes standard with the Vampire versus the on board IR that comes standard for the Photon. The earlier Photons I tested using only the on board IR might get you 75 or 100 yards in very poor light conditions versus around 200 yards for the Vampire. I'm not sure if they improved the on board IR devices of the Photons since 2014.....maybe some others on this forum can provide an update. Kevin

I don't think the onboard has changed and isn't adequate past about 80 yds in my opinion. Pretty easy to pick up a T-20 for under $100 shipped in the USA.

Back