Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch vs Ruger American Ranch

TheWolf57

Here's how I see it:
MVP:
Pros - Longer barrel with a heavier profile (18.5 vs 16.1'), uses AR Mags (The American's mags are $45 a pop, nothing wrong with them, they're just really expensive and don't seem all that durable) and the dual sling studs
Cons - The American is about $150 less, I like the Ruger's safety better (Not a deal breaker for me)

I'm looking for a dedicated coyote in .233 gun that isn't all that expensive (Rather but a really nice scope). These rifles are extremely similar (Trigger, Threaded Barrel, etc.). I had a standard American that was a [beeep] of a rifle for the price. I think the Mossberg would be worth the extra cash. I'm curious as to what you guys think and if anyone had had and expirience with these rifles.

The range reports aren't very favorable for the mossberg. Also there are a lot of function issues with feeding in those (neat and new yes....reliable, well not exactly). My brother (deer hunts once a year) has a ruger american 270 that shot several of my handloads to an inch or down to half an inch. If I wanted a cheap rifle it wouldn't be either. But to answer between the two I'd skip on the Mossberg and go ruger american ranch

Last edited:
or a TC Venture. I'll just say this~ I had a MVP n a ruger american and I dont now.......Im a buy once cry once guy now. The TC Venture is the best of the bottom IMO,best bang fer your buck by a long shot.

Last edited:
I vote, Ruger American. LOTS of good reviews and the two that I have personally handled (.308, 223) were good shooters.

Axis or venture. I had a venture and it was a great gun. I sold it to my best friend and he has had zero issues. Printed under an inch with hornady varmint express 22-250 factory ammo. I would honestly look around for a savage 10 or 11, or even a stevens 200. I just picked up a brand new, new old stock 111 package for $350. New in the box.

Back