Green Dot for 223 reduced loads?

rudymontana

I read about Blue Dot reduced loads for 223 etc. Anyone use or know of reduced loads for 40 or 50 gr. jacketed bullets in 223 using Green Dot?

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaI read about Blue Dot reduced loads for 223 etc. Anyone use or know of reduced loads for 40 or 50 gr. jacketed bullets in 223 using Green Dot?

This was all I found:
Link

LOL!
smile.gif

I did the same search. Lead cast bullets must go down the rifling easier than jacketed bullets. I thought maybe someone on here done some reduced loads with Green Dot. I have a pound of Green Dot and thought since Blue Dot has reduced loads, maybe Green Dot would too.

Green dot is a very fast powder and really isn't suitable for jacketted bullets. Powders in the 2400, 4227, 800X and Blue dot work in rifles with jacketed bullets. The Calhoun Bullet site has à very good article on jacketted bullets in smàll caliber rifles with 800X and Blue dot. I use 800x for small gàme ànd finisher loads in my 222Rem, 22-204 and 5.6x50R Magnum.

Rudy,, If you want to use the Green dot, it would be best to use a cast bullet. If not then use the 45 grain Hornady that is made for the hornet. I want to say it is the 2220. The other is the sierra bullets have some for the hornet. Start with 7.5 grains of Green dot and you can go up, to 9 grains( this will work for a 50 grain also) but remember that the purpose is a reduced load. 9 grains give you over 2,000 FPS w/ pressure below 40,000
The other thing is that the reduced loads worked better in a 1-12 twist.
I do know of a load of 5 grains of Green Dot, but it is used with a 61 grain lead cast bullet. Be careful when trying to go real light,, because you might get a bullet stuck in the barrel.
2400 has been good also.
But be careful to NOT crimp or use a tapered crimp.
RCBS-22-55-SP is a good cast bullet for this. If you need to buy cast (if you don't cast ) Then beartooth bullets has some, but Montanna Bullet works will probably be better I like their selection better, I think price is cheaper too. Get them sized to .225

Thanks for the information. I think I will use Blue Dot. More information and better reloading data. Thanks everyone for your responses. Rudy

Back