Buy the $550.00 AR15 or RRA ?

NDAR15MAN

I have owned a lot if AR15 rifles. Bought them 10 years ago and sold them Couple years ago and made 200.00 to 350,00 profit on them when used prices were high. I have a bushmaster that I dedicate for night hunting with gen 3 scope on it. Shoots 1 inch at night with after market trigger. Need to buy a dày hunting coyote hunting rifle again. Will not build one. Buying package deal , will buy a nikon for it. 16 inch barrel is what I need. Question.... Should I buy the Ruger AR-556 or DPMS Oracle or Smith & Wesson M&P sport ? All of these guns are around $550.00 right now on sale. Or spend the $1100.00 and buy the RRA AR15 rifle that they guarantees to shoot 3/4 inch out of box ? I think these cheap guns will only shoot 2 inch groups if I get really , really lucky. Martyd

I personally spend more and get something that is easier to load for. Time is something I don't have a lot of so the extra I spend for quality pays off in the long run.

Why don't you consider Predator Technology Group's Ar's. They are sponsors here and my 16 " shoots dime sized groups with several loads.

Pack

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've decided I'm going to buy myself an AR-15, but I want the best accuracy I can attain from it so I'm leaning towards something along the lines of a RRA Predator pursuit but they are double the price of what I could pay for some lower models. I've had a couple wildcat AR's in the recent past (BHW uppers) but now I am wanting one in regular ole .223 before O'Bummer tries something stupid via executive orders, etc.

Between my safety bonus and my year-end bonus I should have about $600-$700 cash and I'll probably sell my Axis for a few hundred so I'm really starting to look hard at exactly what I think I want. Best case scenario is I'll end up with one capable of 1/2"-3/4" consistency @ 100 yards.

Besides RRA, what else should I be looking at? I'm pretty sure I want something with a 20" SS barrel in HBAR not bull.

Of the ones you mentioned.....and if you don't mind spending the extra cash....then I would go with the Rock River. However, if you are leaning toward spending less then I would go with the DPMS....just my opinion though.

Check out RRA's website. They are running a daily rifle special. Been some pretty good deals on there. My local shop would even do some off the sale price.

Does your night hunting gun only shoot 1 inch groups at night? What's it shoot during the day? :p

All of those rifles should shoot fine. I would personally pick the Ruger, but the trigger needs to go ASAP.

I have $2000 customs and $500 cheapies that we built for the kids. Ironically the one I carry most often in the field is the $500 cheapy. NONE of them are benchrest guns, but they all shoot just fine. The minuscule difference in accuracy will not be noticed while coyote hunting.

Get whichever one makes you happy(wich one feels and looks good to you?), put a decent trigger in it and you SHOULD get moa or better. Give one of the sponsors a call and they can probably hook you up better than RRA if you wwant to spend that kind of money.

You will never regret buying a Rock River. We have a 20" Preator Pursuit, and a 20" Coyote. and they both shoot 1 hole 10 shot groups at 100 meters with our handloads. Rocks are worth every cent you pay for them. You get what you pay for.

I have owned 4-5 different RRA's and they all shot MOA or better. The DPMS and M&P I have had, did not... however for hunting it probably wouldn't matter much. I just like rifles that cloverleaf even if I don't need them too.

I really wanna buy one of the complete PTG (Predator Technology Group) rifles.

I recently bought a PTG upper in 6.5 Grendel. Only one trip to the range so far with factory ammo but quality looks great & I'm happy with initial results of sighting it in & letting my wife shoot it.

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANI have owned a lot if AR15 rifles. Bought them 10 years ago and sold them Couple years ago and made 200.00 to 350,00 profit on them when used prices were high. I have a bushmaster that I dedicate for night hunting with gen 3 scope on it. Shoots 1 inch at night with after market trigger. Need to buy a dày hunting coyote hunting rifle again. Will not build one. Buying package deal , will buy a nikon for it. 16 inch barrel is what I need. Question.... Should I buy the Ruger AR-556 or DPMS Oracle or Smith & Wesson M&P sport ? All of these guns are around $550.00 right now on sale. Or spend the $1100.00 and buy the RRA AR15 rifle that they guarantees to shoot 3/4 inch out of box ? I think these cheap guns will only shoot 2 inch groups if I get really , really lucky. Martyd

I have the m&p mine shoots a little less than 2 inch @ 100 with a RED DOT sight ive yet to scope it but im betting it will do 1 inch or a little better.. Ive looked at the ruger and seems for a cheap rifle very well built but that tells nothing about groupings. I would call stag arms and ask them,,, they have a long 24 inch i think that has a 1/2 inch guarantee,,, see rifles at cheaper than dirt .com,,, Many here say length has nothing to do with accuracy for groups, I disagree...

Last edited:
Complete upper: $299 Stoner

Complete lower: $140 PSA

If you have $1100 to spend even if you swapped the barrel and added a Geiselle you still have enough cheddar for a decent scope.

IMHO, I can build a less expensive, better shooting AR with $700 than I can buy for $1000+

Why don't you want to build one?

Originally Posted By: RiflemannYou will never regret buying a Rock River. We have a 20" Preator Pursuit, and a 20" Coyote. and they both shoot 1 hole 10 shot groups at 100 meters with our handloads. Rocks are worth every cent you pay for them. You get what you pay for.
I would be interested in your load info .

Last edited:
I am a big fan of RRA so if possible I would go in that direction, with that said I have owned a handful of lower end rifles that within reasonable distance could probably take a yote.

Goe, sorry been away from the puter for awhile. Here is my handloads that I shoot through my 2 Rocks.
Remmington Brass
Hornady 55gr. V-Max #22271
CCI Benchrest Primer
25.5gr. Charge of H-4895
Chrono speed of 3120fps
10 shots under a dime at 100 Meters in our clubs 100 Meter Underground range in West Fargo ND. (RRRMC.com)
When I miss a coyote, there is no blameing the gun, it's me.
Take Care----Riflemann

I got a Predator Pursuit when George Bush was POTUS. They were still fairly reasonably priced then. I'm glad I got it, it's a heck of a rifle.

Back