First piece for my first build! (Last pic before 100% completion- 09/11/2016!!!)

TaterTot

I picked up the foundation for my "Ultimate" AR build. I am planning on putting together (slowly mind you, because I'm a broke a$$!) a 24" barreled 20 Practical.

I am leaning towards running an X-Caliber barrel, but haven't ruled out BHW, WOA, or even selling a kidney for a Shilen! The problem with the Shilen is that I want some fluting and that will void warranty... The bolt is probably going to be a Spikes phosphate or something similar, paired with a Raptor charging handle.

I will probably get an Areo Precision upper and then all the smaller necessary build parts. I am still deciding on the handguard. I'm torn between the Lancer Carbon Fiber handguard and the MI Gen 3 M-Lok version.

Stock is still up in the air but pretty well narrowed down to the Magpul UBR or the Luth Modular stock.

I have a CMC flat blade trigger in my current AR and will most likely go that route again. I may try out their 1-3 lb 2 stage trigger though.

Optics will be the last purchase I'm guessing. Haven't even begun the headache of deciding what to use yet. As far as a mount goes, I'm leaning towards the Warne one piece, Burris PEPR (which I currently use), or if I go lighter weight, the Aero Precision mount.

I expect this to be a heavy rifle and as such it will be used for closer to the vehicle outings! Rockchucks, ground squirrels, occasional prairie dogs, and maybe a coyote or two, will be on the menu!!

Any suggestions or opinions as to my direction of travel with this build? I have lots of time to research, as this will likely take me longer than I'd like! Unless I stumble across a winning lottery ticket!

Last edited:
I like the way you are headed,,,I'm not familiar with the X-Caliber barrels, but the BHW and WOA have some excellent reputations...Unless you are planning to shoot precision competitions, or just want the status, I think a Shilen might be a little excessive for your stated purposes...

When the .204 Ruger caliber first hit the market, I had a builder in CA put together an AR in that caliber, it sports a Douglas SS double X Match grade barrel with an 11 degree target crown...With a 4-16x SII Sightron optic, etc, it weighs in at about 11.5 pounds and and gives plenty of stability for bench type shooting at Prairie Dogs out to about 400 yards...I've been a big fan of the CMC triggers and have one in my competition AR...

This is my .204 AR with a crazy paint scheme...

And this is the way it shoots at 100 yards..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
This is my .204 AR with a crazy paint scheme...

Is that an Ergo grip Old Turtle? How do you like it? I'm thinking of trying that over the Hogue I have now.

Ordered a couple barrels yesterday. My buddy is building a twin rifle to go along with mine. I decided to go with X-Caliber barrels. I decided on a 24" heavy barrel with rifle length gas system and some spiral flutes! I guess if it doesn't shoot very well, it will at least look good doing it!

Originally Posted By: TaterTot I picked up the foundation for my "Ultimate" AR build. I am planning on putting together (slowly mind you, because I'm a broke a$$!) a 24" barreled 20 Practical.

I am leaning towards running an X-Caliber barrel, but haven't ruled out BHW, WOA, or even selling a kidney for a Shilen! The problem with the Shilen is that I want some fluting and that will void warranty... The bolt is probably going to be a Spikes phosphate or something similar, paired with a Raptor charging handle.

I will probably get an Areo Precision upper and then all the smaller necessary build parts. I am still deciding on the handguard. I'm torn between the Lancer Carbon Fiber handguard and the MI Gen 3 M-Lok version.

Stock is still up in the air but pretty well narrowed down to the Magpul UBR or the Luth Modular stock.

I have a CMC flat blade trigger in my current AR and will most likely go that route again. I may try out their 1-3 lb 2 stage trigger though.

Optics will be the last purchase I'm guessing. Haven't even begun the headache of deciding what to use yet. As far as a mount goes, I'm leaning towards the Warne one piece, Burris PEPR (which I currently use), or if I go lighter weight, the Aero Precision mount.

I expect this to be a heavy rifle and as such it will be used for closer to the vehicle outings! Rockchucks, ground squirrels, occasional prairie dogs, and maybe a coyote or two, will be on the menu!!

Any suggestions or opinions as to my direction of travel with this build? I have lots of time to research, as this will likely take me longer than I'd like! Unless I stumble across a winning lottery ticket!

Get a second job so we can see it sooner !
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Those are some great pieces to start off the build. I've always been a sucker for spikes tactical and for spiral fluting! Good luck

Now I have to decide on the handguard. The requirement to clear a clamp on adjustable .936 gas block has limited me on my choices. I don't want anything super bulky and have never liked the quad rails... So far I'm looking at the Seekins MCSR, ALG EMR, a Troy rail, or the Midwest Industries SP rail. I am going with the M-Loc for visual preferences. I want to be able to see some of that barrel!!!

Originally Posted By: TaterTotNow I have to decide on the handguard. The requirement to clear a clamp on adjustable .936 gas block has limited me on my choices. I don't want anything super bulky and have never liked the quad rails... So far I'm looking at the Seekins MCSR, ALG EMR, a Troy rail, or the Midwest Industries SP rail. I am going with the M-Loc for visual preferences. I want to be able to see some of that barrel!!!

This shows how well you can see the barrel

[img:center]http://[/img]

Back