Crazy Christmas Coyote!!

bhw

Gang,

After a legendary day of celebrating Christmas, I headed off into the night because the weather was so perfect. At the first farm i caught eyes on the hillside directly downwind of me. I could see that the eyes were not that of a deer, but I could not identify the critter as it was at least 300 yards away. I tried a multitude of sounds to break the critter but it held it's ground.

After eleven minutes, I emitted a lone howl from my 4k9 howler and went right into Platinum Gray distress. As I watched the critter maintain it's ground, I also scanned the terrain for other customers. Sure enough, I could eyes at the far end of the cut bean field. It was trotting in steadily and as it came within 200 yards I could see that i was dealing with a coyote. Fearing that it may "wind me" in the variable wind I took the body shot at approx 150 yards. I heard the "whump" and the coyote began to spin on the spot. I shot again and heard another "whump." Now the coyote Was skidding across the dirt and suddenly sat up "like a dog." I shot again and nailed it! The coyote began to Ki-yi like crazy... AND RAN OFF!!

I was both shocked and dismayed at what had happened. I searched the area including using my Predator light (remember those?) in the hedgerow where the coyote was last seen headed. Dejected, i walked back to my chair. As I walked, I noticed the original critter still up on the side hill. I walked in it's direction and set down to see if it would respond to some lip squeaks. I had this "critter" in my scope at 150 yards... but could not ID it... I had to pass! As I squeaked, I could hear twigs breaking in the hedgerow where "my" coyote had gone. The decision was made to return in the AM to thoroughly search the hedgerow in the light of day. I was so mad about the hunt that i just went home and surrendered to the night.

The next morning, I returned and called for 18 minutes with no takers. I then walked over toward where I heard the twigs breaking the night prior. I didn't walk ten yards when I saw the coyote laying in the hedgerow. I had walked right past it in the darkness.

I was thrilled and set my gun aside as i prepared to fight my way through the multitude of fallen branches and sticks that clogged the hedgerow. I grabbed the coyote and fought my way back to the bean field. Of course, the coyote got hung up on every limb and branch in sight.

After six yards of torment i tossed the coyote on the flat ground of the bean field. Then it happened... The coyote sat up and was staring at me!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I grabbed my rifle and shot the coyote to end the saga... once and for all!!

aadfd45346bdb3ba51a810c07392ba85_zpsbp6lpvko.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew, did you check to see where all your shots hit him? that would be very interesting. it is a very cool story. What gun are you shooting? I think I would have checked for a pulse
don

Last edited:
Don,

one hit was in the neck, one was in the jaw and one was in the leg/brisket.

I was shooting a .223 55 grain v-max. Never had a problem before, this was just a freak situation.

I would have definitely been looking for a clean pair of shorts if that happened to me.

He looked like a nice and healthy upstate New York coyote. Nice work!

That's crazy. Thanks for sharing. Coyotes are tough. I really don't like to shoot them until we have snow on the ground. I've tracked a bunch of solid hit coyotes for 100-250 yds before (.223 or 6x45). I've also lost a few that I knew were hit good, but with no snow or blood to follow, they were lost

Back