Pulsar XD50A External battery

JCCinOhio

Is there a trick to getting the external battery to work on the XD50A? I have the groove in the plug in the right spot, and the screw thing nice and snug.. but it still doesn't show the external power is connected.

Do you have the UNV battery pack? I had...an operator error...when I got one last week. If so, you plug into the same port on the side that you charge it with, not the one that says 3.7V out. Just connect it and flip the switch on the battery pack and it automatically switches the scope over the battery pack from the onboard batteries. Or you can turn the battery pack on and then the scope, same result and either way it should show the icon for using power from the battery pack.

Make sure it's charged, specific instructions in the box on how the to do that. Make sure it's turned off, plug it in at the pack and the wall outlet, then turn on the battery pack. It may take a few cycles of running it down and charging it back up before the light on the battery pack will turn green when fully charged.

This was the info given to me by Tyler at UNV last week when I called with those questions.

The battery I got is the EPS3.. all it has is the cable coming out with the 2.5mm power pin. That gets hooked into the 3-4" cable that goes into the scope. I can't get the scope to turn on at all with the power pack, with or without CR123s in there. Guess either the power pack or the cable is bad.

I have the EPS3 with mine. I charged it before I hooked it up. Put the batteries in the scope, checked out the scope then attached the battery pack after it had charged. Charged it two hours and got the green light. I've run the scope with the batteries in it and the pack hooked up ever since. I charge the pack after 7-8 hrs use and I am good to go after a two hour, sometimes a little less, charge. Don't remember seeing an icon showing battery pack charge. I didn't think there was one.

Merry Christmas everybody

At the bottom of the screen on mine it switches over to a little icon of a plug once it is running on the external battery pack. I'll try and post video of it doing it later tonite if I can. It may been a change to the scope at some point if yours doesn't do it. Do the ones you fellas have run the PiP function? My understanding is that it was exclusive to the XD50 and only recently added to the XD50A.

Pretty sure there's something wrong with the short connector cable. The scope turns on/off with the batteries in. Then when I connect the short cable (with or without the external battery attached) the scope won't come on at all. Then when I take the short cable off I have to open and close the battery door before it will turn on again.

That doesn't sound right. We are running different battery packs and cable, but it should be about the same operation. I messed with mine this evening. When you turn the battery pack on it changes the battery icon to a plug icon. If you switch the battery pack off it shuts the scope off, but will power right back up from the onboard 123s.

You should hear the click for the battery pack and see the icon switch in the video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. Pretty sure though now that there must be a short in the 3" cable. Tested the battery pack and it has plenty of charge.

May be OBE anyway.. had a hunt planned on the weekend for Vernon, TX area and the weather doesn't look promising.

Last edited:
Back