Ever Tried Microlon Gun Juice?

woodguru

I first found Microlon oil treatment for engines, I tried it in an Alpha Romeo GTV6 first and couldn't believe the differences it made. The valve train was so much quieter I wasn't sure I liked it, it took the edge off of the engine noise under acceleration. The engine ran over 30 degrees cooler, and the oil stayed in great shape for 5000 miles versus the 2500 I had changed it at previously, the oil looked way better at 5000 than it used to at 2500.

So I get to seeing as I looked deeper into the product that the guy who came up with it developed it specifically for rifles that were shooting out barrels to increase the life of them. He was loading wildcats to levels that were burning barrels out in under 200 rounds. So according to his data he was getting normal life out of even things like .17 Rem loaded to the ridiculous edge he was going out to.

I ordered the gun product kit they sell, it has the gun juice, gun oil, and gun grease that all have the microlon in it.

Treating a rifle is all the proof anyone needs to be able to see what this stuff does. Because it is making the bore smoother and reducing friction it is actually increasing the velocity, and this can be measured with a chrono and seen at the range because to POI rises with every shot as you are applying it the 10 shots or so it takes. You swab the bore with a wet patch, the solvent dries leaving the stuff in the barrel, and you shoot a bullet through. You do this 10 times or until the POI stops rising each shot.

A .17hmr comes up about a half inch over 8 shots or so, the group tightens up in a super accurate rifle like an Anschutz by about 1/4 inch from a half inch. The velocity that starts out at about 2650fps ends up at a little over 2900fps. That equates to a few inches less drop at 250yds. For me it seemed to take the range out another 30 yards with better consistency.

Microlon figures it increases velocity by about 10% which is huge in hot calibers. The only real down side might be that you will alter your bench rest groups with your hand loads and might need to adjust loads a touch. Most everything I've used it in showed decreased group sizes, and then you can perfect loads further from there.

Of all the things it does, the most amazing to me is the way it virtually eliminates copper fouling. In a rifle that fouls to the degree that it starts affecting bench groups at two or three hundred rounds I've never had to clean copper out again. The first patch through a clean bore you can feel a certain amount of roughness or friction, each run through the bore as you shoot this in gets noticeably smoother and smoother.

I have put this in my Sakos, match target rifles, pistols. I had a Beretta .380 Cheetah that was a copper fouling nightmare, it drove me crazy how quickly it fouled. I treated it and haven't had enough copper to worry about since, about 700 rounds.

The oil that comes in a needle tipped tube is fantastic for any metal to metal surfaces, I buy five tubes at a time because I use it in the garage and house for everything that starts to slide rough. When aluminum starts galling like on a sliding glass door this makes even sticking galled surfaces slide like they have teflon on them, same for folding pocket knives.

I've recommended this to guys on other sites, and there are always the old timers who come out early saying they wouldn't put this crap in their fine firearms. There always a few guys who are willing to try it, and they rave about the way the oil on actions makes them slicker that he'd believe they could be. Guys have said that if it did nothing more than make their actions this slick they be very happy with it.

It's dirt cheap for what it does (>$10), a little bottle of the gun juice does at least 10 or 15 rifles and guns. It's one of the coolest products for guns you will ever find.

Merry Christmas!

So do you have to continue to "retreat" your barrels after cleaning? Or does it allow you to use a less aggressive bore cleaner than is traditionally used?

Sounds interesting, there are some steps being made in lubricants, but unfortunately there have been so many "snake oils" dumped on people over the decades, that many are of a "once bitten twice shy" mentality.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8So do you have to continue to "retreat" your barrels after cleaning? Or does it allow you to use a less aggressive bore cleaner than is traditionally used?

Sounds interesting, there are some steps being made in lubricants, but unfortunately there have been so many "snake oils" dumped on people over the decades, that many are of a "once bitten twice shy" mentality.

Once that barrel is treated it's done, it doesn't add any layer whatsoever, it simply fills in Microscopic holes and burnishes off any micro machining burrs. Their website shows pictures of the difference in the metal that are impressive.

This one is the real deal. I recommended it a few years back on two or three sites and there were quite a few guys that tried it that were very happy.

Newtown Firearms in Placerville makes a super high end AR in calibers likke .243, 243AI, 6.5 etc in full autos that are sold to LE, the owner was saying that they will put 2500 rounds in a day of demonstration easy, he said that they get a few thousand more rounds through a barrel.

I forgot to add, cleanup is made ridiculously easy, patches come out way cleaner, after the second or third patch you are done. Copper has been next to non existent for me.

Last edited:
Back