Total newbie-Two rifles different threads, one can or two

cmatera

I have a 6x45 and a .264 LBC AR. The 6x45 has a 1/2x28 thread, the .264 LBC has a 5/8-24 thread. Both are BHW barrels. Would you get 1 can to share or 1 for each? If one to share, how with different threads? Threaded or quick disconnect? Is the length of the threaded part of all barrels standard? Can someone with knowledge on this help me? TIA

Thread adapters or if your ok with spending over 100 bucks on mounts you can go with a compact break or tomb style mount like TB and SAS use.

Not a problem, buy 2, you'll be glad you did. Seriously, you can use 1 can with either thread adapters or with quick disconnects. I have an AAC suppressor that I use on different guns/calibers, there are 2 of us on the trust so it's easy to pass to each other. I also have one direct thread in hand and one more in jail. It was a psychological problem from me when I bought the QD suppressor then bought the additional mounts for the other guns, that I had to go with the the same brand suppressor on my next purchases so the mounts weren't a waste of money and that it was would be easy to change. Don't get caught up with that line of thinking, it limits your choices. Buy what you want. In the end you'll have 2.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I think I'll put the $200 in mounts (QD), and buy two (direct thread, less weight, slightly better suppression).

Not sure where your info is coming from but DT is heavier than a TOMB style suppressor and is ZERO difference in DB reduction. A DT also doesn't lock up as tight or as consistent.

My info comes from the Internet, so it has to be right😀 I'm not saying the suppressors themselves are any heavier or lighter, but I will likely have something on the muzzle on my gun all the time, adding weight. What do each of those two mounts cost? The tomb may lock up tighter and may cost a little in accuracy, depending on who you ask.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I think I'll put the $200 in mounts (QD), and buy two (direct thread, less weight, slightly better suppression).

Umm, this doesn't make any sense. QD mounts do not go with direct thread suppressors...

Originally Posted By: roky0702Originally Posted By: cmatera I think I'll put the $200 in mounts (QD), and buy two (direct thread, less weight, slightly better suppression).

Umm, this doesn't make any sense. QD mounts do not go with direct thread suppressors...

I think what he meant was that instead of spending money on qd mounts, he would rather buy two suppressors.

Thunderbeast CB mount isn't a qd mount just a means to switch cans between rifles and be consistent and locks up tight. Each can comes with a mount and you would only be out the additional $100 or so for the additional mount.

ok, instead of buying a 1/2-28 qd for $100 and a 5/8-24 qd for $100 for the other rifle, I'll buy one direct thread with a 1/2 28 thread and another direct thread in 5/8-24 and the $200 I don't spend on the qd's will be used to partially pay for a second unit.

You could buy one Thunderbeast supressor that comes with a 5/8-24 mount and you would only need to buy one additional mount for $100 in 1/2-28 to put on your other rifle and switch the supressor back and forth as you like. Just a suggestion on the quickest and cheapest way to supress both rifles.

Or you can buy 2 direct thread supressors in each thread you need and pay 2 separate tax stamps.

Kind of have my heart set on an SAS Barricade or Reaper Titanium. Like most I'll probably change my mind 10x and regret my choice anyway.

Originally Posted By: cmateraKind of have my heart set on an SAS Barricade or Reaper Titanium. Like most I'll probably change my mind 10x and regret my choice anyway.

That is a wise choice that I assure you won't regret!

The Barricade is for up to caliber 6.5, so I figure it would be good for the 6x45 and the .264 LBC (6.5 Grendel clone). Nice and short, with good suppression. The Reaper is slightly longer, not much heavier and tempting as well.

Are you going direct thread or tomb mount? The more research I do, the more I am thinking about forgetting about a suppressor. Too much hassle with the government and too many dealers that are a den of thieves. The only class III dealer is 65 miles each way. His does not sell SAS, his website does not say what his receiver fee is, and if I went with a TOMB mount, they do not show any gunsmithing services. i would have to learn how to install and properly time the TOMB with NO prior instructions. Just try to find any on the net. There is the legal part, the purchase part, and the installation part. The only easy part is the purchase part, they'll all take your money.

Back