Who owns a .270WSM ??

Hidalgo

I just ran across a screaming deal on a NIB Tikka in 270WSM.
w00t.gif

Is this caliber the hair-parting, toenail-curling, collarbone-dislocating thing that I think it is?

Just let me say that anything over a 30-06 gets on my nerves. Should I rule it out? I can reload for it and therefore load it down a bit, but that seems to me like negating any performance that the caliber offers.

I do not have one by Tikka, but I have a m48 that weighs 6.75 pounds in 270 wsm. Paired with doubletap ammo 129 gr barnes lrx- traveling 3300+ fps, it is a elk's nightmare.

I love the cartridge. I would say that shooting a lightweight rifle does change the game as far as recoil. I had a Forbes 30-06 and never could shoot it well (mostly due to recoil- and probably lack of skill)

I'm not sure why 270 wsm rifles take so long to resell, or hardly get talked about on these forums. I think it was due to the days when there weren't many bullet choices out there, and a general disdain for anything 270 by many of the long range tom foolery.

I love the round. I would plan on putting a muzzle brake on the tikka and then shoot until my heart's content.

Also that doubletap ammo cloverleafs at 200 yards out of my gun- off the bench. Real world results - dead elk at 553 yards this past year.

Hidalgo, I thought you were pistol shopping? My brother brother has one and that thing is like the hammer of Thor on mule deer and antelope. He did put a muzzle brake on it and said it helped a bunch.

I'm STILL pistol shopping, but none of the local guys have a Shield in stock.
rolleyes.gif
I'll find one after Christmas when the rush cools down a bit and they show back up in stock. The "gun control" scare and the Season has taken it's toll on stock around here. You know how Tennessee guys love to buy guns.
lol.gif

I'm getting too old and have been stitched together to the point that I'm a bit recoil shy, so I may pass on this rifle. But I've owned a Tikka before and that silky action is hard to pass up.

I had a Winchester Super Shadow in 270 WSM. I didn't care for it that much. I also had a 300 WSM in a Win Coyote that was a lazer, but until I put a break on it, it would rock your world. The Tikka is probably a better rifle based on the Tikka reputation.

Last edited:
My 14 yr old daughter wants one bad, 5'7" 130lbs, I bought her the 708 for her birthday and she loves it. After the first range session with it she popped up and asked when are we getting one like Jakes. He has a model 70 coyote.
Should be awesome with a 90grn hp at close to 3500.

Actually I just looked up the .270 WSM on the Chuckhawks Recoil Charts and the .270 WSM recoil on an 8lb Rifle 130 grain bullet @18.7 and 8lb Rifle 150 grain bullet @ 18.9.

The 30-06 with same 8.0 lb Rifle was the following:

150 grain bullet @ 17.6
165 grain bullet @ 20.1
180 grain bullet @ 20.3

www.Chuckhawks.com

I have a Browning A-bolt Medallion .270 WSM and the recoil is about where the Chart states in being pretty close to the 30-06 Rifle in felt Recoil.Theres a lot more powder behind the .270 WSM and Factory ammo is pretty expensive last time I bought a box of 20 was in the $38.00-$40.00 Range!I sighted mine in at 100 yards dead on and when I took it over to the 200 yard Range it was still climbing and about 1-2 inches high so it's going to be good for long distances for sure!

With You reloading the .270 WSM it would tame it down and You'd still have one heck of a Rifle for long distances!

Last edited:
I had a 270WSM in a Remington 700, and killed one whitetail buck with it. I'm a bit recoil sensitive my self, but didn't find the recoil all that bad. Mine shot 130 grain bullets very accurately, and I found 400 yard targets very easy to hit. A friend of mine saw the rifle, liked it made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I let it go.

I have that very one, I am not recoil shy so maybe not the one to answer but while not bad it is a light rifle and will get your attention, the only reason I have it is that it was won in a drawling, if I Was to buy it would be something else

The Pachmayr decelerator pad does a great job of reducing felt recoil. My 30tc had the sharp fast recoil that I did not like with the new pad feels more like a 243 or 20ga, slower push. I was surprised how well it worked.

I have one in a Savage 16 and I like it - accurate as heck. I don't find recoil that bad off the bench (I don't even feel it in a hunting situation) and can shoot 30 shots no problem, but I shot it prone in just a t-shirt one time - I was good for about 8 shots and that was enough. Lol I would compare it to 30-06 recoil.

I have a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270 WSM. I haven't shot it a bunch yet, but the 2 boxes of ammo I have shot through it felt good. I bought this rifle to replace a Savage 110 30-06. I didn't care for the recoil of the '06 with 165 gr. ammo. The 270 WSM with 130 gr. ammo recoils less, not a lot less, but less than the '06. I can comfortably shoot the 270 WSM.

Back