which 20 cal cartridge

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: B23What about a 20-260Rem Improved shooting the 55 Berger at around 4000, maybe 4000+, FPS???

Heck yeah you could form your brass with one barrel and have formed brass ready to go for the 2nd barrel, lol
thumbup1.gif

LOL

But that's why they don't weld barrels on.
thumbup.gif

I'n all honesty, I'm more concerned about the bullet grouping well at those velocities than I am about barrel life. Just because a gun can shoot them that fast certainly doesn't mean it'll like it and group them well. I'd hate to invest the time, then have it only shoot good groups at velocities easily attained by smaller capacity rounds. I'm kind of dragging my feet hoping they get their shop gun built and tested before I jump into the deep end of the pool.

If I have a 20-260 Improved built, think I should order two barrels at time?? lol

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: B23What about a 20-260Rem Improved shooting the 55 Berger at around 4000, maybe 4000+, FPS???

Heck yeah you could form your brass with one barrel and have formed brass ready to go for the 2nd barrel, lol
thumbup1.gif

LOL

But that's why they don't weld barrels on.
thumbup.gif

I'n all honesty, I'm more concerned about the bullet grouping well at those velocities than I am about barrel life. Just because a gun can shoot them that fast certainly doesn't mean it'll like it and group them well. I'd hate to invest the time, then have it only shoot good groups at velocities easily attained by smaller capacity rounds. I'm kind of dragging my feet hoping they get their shop gun built and tested before I jump into the deep end of the pool.

If I have a 20-260 Improved built, think I should order two barrels at time?? lol

Very true, thats why they have threads. I am a speed freak, but I also sacrifice some speed for accuracy.

Originally Posted By: DAAI'd be tempted to do the PPC just for the uniqueness of having a .20 PPC repeater.

- DAA

Exactly. And just slightly less overbore.

Yeah the capacity might be just enough for your velocity goal with not much if any extra. Which is a good thing. Brass is as good as it gets too. Another good thing.

I like the idea.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89I'm not too sure on those velocities. I use more 4985 than that with the 204 and am only pushing them 3950. I can't see the minor differences in the case leading to that much more efficient.

I dont have a 204, well my 20p barrel started as a 204 but i don't think that counts, to compare with. But the 20 is supposed to be on par with the ruger. As long asyou can get similar pressures velocity should be similar.

I read a lot of 4200ish claims but think they were using 32gr bullets.

I don't know how fast I'm pushing mine. I figure as long as the gun is accurate and the bullet can out run my target, I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: mbaysinger89I'm not too sure on those velocities. I use more 4985 than that with the 204 and am only pushing them 3950. I can't see the minor differences in the case leading to that much more efficient.

I dont have a 204, well my 20p barrel started as a 204 but i don't think that counts, to compare with. But the 20 is supposed to be on par with the ruger. As long asyou can get similar pressures velocity should be similar.

I don't know how fast I'm pushing mine. I figure as long as the gun is accurate and the bullet can out run my target, I'm happy.

I shoot the 204, 20 PRAC and 20 TAC and a 20 LBC, Grendel necked to 20. The first three are virtual triplets on speeds with the 20 PRAC and 20 TAC being a but more flexible than the 204 bullet choice.

I've found the 20 LBC being a stretched PPC shoots about 150 feet faster than the others given same barrel length. I have a new 24" Savage barrel on the shelf and anew 20 LBC upper coming from Ritch this week. I'll be shooting it a bit in the near future.

Greg

I also have a 20-250 that I have started development on. Only one word on that one... WOW!!!!

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: mbaysinger89I'm not too sure on those velocities. I use more 4985 than that with the 204 and am only pushing them 3950. I can't see the minor differences in the case leading to that much more efficient.

I shoot the 204, 20 PRAC and 20 TAC and a 20 LBC, Grendel necked to 20. The first three are virtual triplets on speeds with the 20 PRAC and 20 TAC being a but more flexible than the 204 bullet choice.

I've found the 20 LBC being a stretched PPC shoots about 150 feet faster than the others given same barrel length. I have a new 24" Savage barrel on the shelf and anew 20 LBC upper coming from Ritch this week. I'll be shooting it a bit in the near future.

Greg

I also have a 20-250 that I have started development on. Only one word on that one... WOW!!!!

Is the 20 LBC a good candidate for launching 55's in an ar-15?

Originally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: mbaysinger89I'm not too sure on those velocities. I use more 4985 than that with the 204 and am only pushing them 3950. I can't see the minor differences in the case leading to that much more efficient.

Greg

Is the 20 LBC a good candidate for launching 55's in an ar-15?

It will certainly do it as my first one ran hundreds of rounds without a glitch. It is a bit labor intensive making the brass compared to the others. A single die and a few bushings will do it. A clean up neck turning is a good idea.

Greg

Originally Posted By: barkWhat kind of speed were you seeing?

Day in day out I figure 150-200 extra or so over the 204 Ruger. Running 39's up in the 4000+ or the 32's at 4350. 55's can go around 3800 but I have not shot them much.

I am not hammering brass as that stuff is too expensive and too much work to loose after 3 firings.

Greg

Back