South Georgia Hog Hunt

6mm06

Just got back from a south Georgia hog hunt with my two sons, Nelson and Tanner, and a good friend Bart. We had a great time
and it was nice to hunt some different terrain for a change. The climate was cooler than usual, with temps near the freezing mark one morning,
but luckily we didn't have rain. This was a bow-only hunt.

The ground blind in the photo is the guide's. I took mine but didn't get to use it. To my understanding, there were 6 feeders going.
The hogs were hammering Nelson's site at the tree stand and they were also hitting Bart's area at the ground blind.
I don't know about the other sites. The hogs got the corn the night before our last morning hunt and may not have been hungry. Corn was on
the ground at the feeder the night before and was gone the next morning.

The cabin is located right near a slough that feeds in from the river, which is only a couple hundred yards away. These two photos
are looking out from the cabin deck. The cabin sits up high to keep it out of the water line when it floods. At times the only way
to access the cabin is by boat.

Here is the cabin and how deep the water gets sometimes. These two photos are from the guide's web site and are not mine.

This is the river that is only a couple hundred yards from the cabin.

This is the blind that Bart and I sat in near a feeder.

Hog wallow

We rode around the place in a Suzuki Samari, a very neat little 4x4. Tanner had a great time.

Nelson's first hog, a very nice colored one. I got his shot on video.

This is the second hog Nelson got the following evening. Both hogs were sows and should be some good eating. We plan to find out.

Here is a short trailer to the video footage I got.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekender, I imagine the area we hunted is probably similar to where you hunt. It was a great time.

I have now edited up a 15-minute video of the hunt. This shows a bit more of the hunt that the short clip above. We weren't there long enough to get a longer video and my buddy wasn't successful even though hogs were coming to the feeder fairly often. I took my crossbow just in case I had time to do some hunting myself, but time didn't permit. I hope to do another hunt or two in the future and though I enjoy hunting myself, I think sometimes I enjoy video more.

Those are some great pics and glad to hear everyone had a good time! Your lucky you did not get rained out, from what I understand it has rained more up in Georgia during the month of December than during the entire previous year.

Those hogs should be good eating, let us know how they turned out.

6mm06 welcome to Georgia. Glad you enjoyed your Hog Hunt.
Bow hunting hogs , awesome!
Nice accommodation pictures.
Come again, bring more arrows and ammo , there's no shortage of hogs.

Crowkiller, thanks. We had a great time and hope to go back in the future.

Skypup, apparently we were very lucky and timed our hunt perfectly considering the rain. I understand that parts of Georgia are under water at the moment. In our case we didn't have any rain, but did have cold temps close to freezing one night.

Back