223 blue dot reduced loads

buckin it up

Hey guys just wondering i want to make some reduced loads for my 223 because im tired of big holes in my foxes so ive read up did some research everyone is saying blue dot well if any of yall have tried it can yall give me some info on it like pros cons should i not go with blue dot how would this load work on a yote if one walks by thanks guys im thinking of using a 40gr nosler bt

I used to shoot 12 grains of BD in my .223 with a 40 grain Vmax. It shot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards Speeds were 2900 fps. I tried 10 grains for around 2600 fps but my groups opened up so I went back to 12 and stayed there. After I got me an AR-15 I quit loading that because it would not cycle in the autoloader and I did not want to have to separate my loads.

With Blue Dot, you really need to load one case at the time. Drop powder and seat bullet because it is easy to double charge with Blue Dot since it won't fill a case half way in many loads. You don't want to set off a double charge! I've had pretty good results with SR 4759 in 223 and it has a little more bulk.

What type of primers were yall using or does it matter because i already us a rem 7 1/2 for my current 223 load and should i use the same type of case or is it alright if they are mixed?

I have 2 different "reduced" loads that I like for fox. My blue dot is 12 gr with 35gr vmax. I also have a non-blue dot that is extremely fur friendly on fox. 34gr hollow point at about 2700fps.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: reddog964You might want to look at Trial Boss also...
+1 much safer due to its bulk..

...and manufacturer pressure-tested loading data available for reduced loads......H4895 is another powder worth a look.

I use Alliant 2400 for the same. There was data from Alliant in their manual up to about 10 years ago. I think it's out of the current manuals.

My chrony showed 2670 FPS with a 40 grain bullet, 223 loads.

I use 12 grains of Blue Dot and a 40gr V-Max. Have not shot a fox or coyote with that load. Have shot several raccoon. The bullets didn't exit, even on broadside shots. Should work good on fox.

My buddy just shot a coyote with a 35 gr vmax with 12g blue dot. About 80 yds quartering away. Shot just behind the ribs and blue up his insides. tiny entrance, no exit. Not sure how it would perform on ribs though.

That was our third coyote with this load. Just about everything we shoot is under 100 yds though.

I have been playing with a blue dot load of 10 grains with a Sierra 40 grain hp varmint and only shot two red fox so far. One was tiny hole in no hole out and one had a very tiny exit. Either one I would have considered about as fur friendly as a 22wmr

I want to try trail boss but I am not sure if I can get the velocity I want out of it. (2600 or so) and sorry I don't own my own chrono so I don't know what velocity I am getting out of my 11 grain load but shoots an average 5 shot group of .690

While this thread is about NOT blowing up foxes, I load for volume shooting with Blue Dot.

In my custom 26" Hart 14" twist, 12g with a 40g Nosler is at 3000 fps, and 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

for 200 yd shots, 14.3g load is 3200 fps and shoots 1 1/2" at 200 yards, and in my rifle, 14.6g is an absolute max load.

Use thick cup primers with Blue dot, they are not low pressure loads at all.

Now, the danger is that it is easy to double charge the case. Also, blue dot is a HUGE flake powder that will bridge in the drop tube of the powder measure. ONE case may have a light load, the next case will have a heavy load.

SO, WEIGH EVERY CHARGE!!! IF YOU JUST STAND THE CASES UP ON A LOADING BLOCK, CHECK THEM CAREFULLY WITH A FLASH LIGHT FOR THE POWDER LEVELS!!!

The loads that I shoot in my rifle are for illustration purposes only. Seafire that hangs out on the 24hrcampfire.com is an expert on Blue dot with about any cartridge you can imagine.

I did work up a load with a Rem 700 22/250 with the 40g Noslers that was very accurate at 3200 fps.

I can not stress the Safety issue enough with using Blue Dot and powder measures throwing light and heavy charges, Weigh every charge you shoot.

On the positive side, you can shoot 600 rounds inbetween cleanings with the blue dot loads, a friend went 900 rounds with a fireball loaded with Blue Dot.

The Sierra 40g HP and the Speer 40g Spire pt are the toughest 40g bullets on the market, and the 40g speer spire point feeds through the ruger hornet magazine. With the 40g Speer Spire point, you can still touch the lands at magazine length OAl which makes it an accurate bullet to shoot in the ruger hornets.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I use Alliant 2400 for the same. There was data from Alliant in their manual up to about 10 years ago. I think it's out of the current manuals.

Do you have any data for the 2400 loads?

along with what ackley said, I don't trickle or dump any of my blue dot loads. Because I make so few of them each year, I hand measure each one, set them all up in my tray, tap a few times and check each one with a flashlight before proceeding. It is a bit tedious, but for peace of mind and to retain all the other pieces of my person I do it this way RELIGIOUSLY. Check it 3 times before proceeding. And then check again.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I use Alliant 2400 for the same. There was data from Alliant in their manual up to about 10 years ago. I think it's out of the current manuals.

Do you have any data for the 2400 loads?

Here is a link to the 2005 Alliant manual I use. The 2400 Data for the 223 is not in the latest manual. They show just over 14 grains tops with a 45 grain bullet. I was content at 12 grains with a 40 grain bullet for the 2670 FPS.

http://www.idpaitalia.it/documenti/manuale_alliant.pdf

Back