Model 70/Mcmillan Stock Question

Ledgewoodhunter

I have a New Haven built Winchester Model 70 sa .308 stainless manufactured in early 2000's that I am restocking with a Mcmillan Supergrade with machined pillars.

I am looking for input and experiences with the action screw torque specs.
Mcmillan recommends 40-45 inch lbs, but I have been reading people using more and of less. I have read of putting more torque to the front screw than rear.

I would really appreciate hearing the thoughts and results from members here.

This is my first Winchester restock...

Thanks

I only have one of those short action New Havens and it's not on a McMillan stock so I cant remember if they used the "middle" screw or not. I do have several Pre-64's and one of them is in a McMillan A-2. I have always heard that you should torque the front and back screws to like 30-35 inch pounds and leave the center or middle screw just snug. I always did it that way and the rifles all shoot fantastic so I never deviated. If I remember right if you torque the middle screw it upsets the harmonics??? Never heard to tighten the front more, just first.

The only purpose of the middle screw is to hold the trigger guard/floor plate. I use a one piece DBM for box mags now and the middle screw is just tossed out.
Mine are in Manners stocks, but the point is the same.
If it's properly bedded, it really doesn't matter what you torque them to, as long as they don't come lose.
I'm pretty sure mine are torqued to 50....but I know the action that was sitting in a chassis was only at 30 or less. Shot sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with the front action screw literally coming out.

Just torque them to 40-45 and put a dab of blue lock tite on them.

All correct, on a good stout receiver it doesn't really matter whether it's 30 or 65 lbs, and long as they're tight.

On some small receivers like the 527, I can see a very noticeable difference in group size if I get over 40 lbs

Thanks fellas. I am gonna start at 45 inch lbs and see how it shoots. I may increase the torque on the front screw incrementally if it's not shooting well. Just wanted to see if anyone had any proven results with this.

Originally Posted By: msincI only have one of those short action New Havens and it's not on a McMillan stock so I cant remember if they used the "middle" screw or not. I do have several Pre-64's and one of them is in a McMillan A-2. I have always heard that you should torque the front and back screws to like 30-35 inch pounds and leave the center or middle screw just snug. I always did it that way and the rifles all shoot fantastic so I never deviated. If I remember right if you torque the middle screw it upsets the harmonics??? Never heard to tighten the front more, just first. You are absolutely dead on msinc, that middle screw cannot be tightened down or it will not group tight. Have removed my stocks many times and cannot tight down that middle screw...you will know when you get it right or when you get it wrong.

Originally Posted By: LedgewoodhunterThanks fellas. I am gonna start at 45 inch lbs and see how it shoots. I may increase the torque on the front screw incrementally if it's not shooting well. Just wanted to see if anyone had any proven results with this.

"If it's not shooting well"....I don't think I would count too much on tightening the front screw a few more inch pounds to "fix" anything...the action screws do not "tune" the action for better shooting. As stated, if you are just using or only have the front and back screws, either the screws are tight and so is the action to stock fit...or it is not. If loose it wont work too good...if everything is tight then cranking in it more wont make up for or repair some other problem. If that truly was an answer...we'd all be using a foot pound torque wrench and you'd hear about having bigger bolts installed.

Back