Do red fox make sounds?

The two Red pups we had many yrs ago. Made plenty of racket. Alot of yapping mainly. Both pups would commence right when the Sun was setting. Not good, when we lived right in the middle of town. Non-appreciative? neighbors anyway LOL!

Look on [You Tube] you'll see & hear plenty.

Red foxes bark and yap a lot at times, a real aggressive, course yapping. One of my favorite sequences involves red fox catching a woodpecker.

Ive got to say fox are one of the hardest animals for me to figure out they fascinate me!

They sound like a mix of a dog/cat/idk what.

Last edited:
The two Red pups we had. I don't recall ever hearing them bark? But they would make an "acking" noise. As their fur was hackled up & they moved about stiff-legged. In an agressive/defensive? posture.

As for the "yapping" & other noises. I suspect that yapping was to call their parents? Pups were around 10 wks old or so.

Some yrs back, an old friend & I. Sat in my truck next to an active Red den in a high cut road ditch bank. Waiting to get some pics. We sat there until Sunset & awhile later.

Two pups eventually came out to look around & play near the entrance hole. After 10 minutes or so, suddenly two coarse short loud barks. Came from within the den hole. Et those pups instantly stopped what they were doing & shot down the hole. They never came out after that. We moved on.

Interestingly, those two den site pups never made a sound in our presense. I suspect, because they were secure? & one of their parents was inside of the nearby den hole.

Last edited:
I had some that would bark (yip) at me when I was running my trap line this year. Seemed we were running about the same schedule some mornings. It happended one time and I thought geese were honking overhead. Had me all messed up until I saw the eyes in the dark. When I finally caught them, I briefly heard them growl/snarl and go to a yip at the end of it, but I shot them pretty quickly so I didn't have time to listen long. They remind me of the sounds a little ankle biter dog makes.

HAHA i asked my dad if hes ever heard them and he said one time he was looking at a fox through his scope with the crosshairs on its chest before it realized he was there. When it saw him he said it let out the funniest howl/bark/scream hes ever heard, said it reminds him of a cat.

Having taken my sons out for fox hunting, I can tell you they will bark at you when they bust you or can't be sure what you are.

We shot at a red last season crossing a frozen river. Missed him but then heard this weird barking yip sound like in the video. Walked around the corner and this Red had climbed a down tree 20 feet in the air and wouldn't shut up. He got the hornet from 50 yards. Not sure if it was the same dog or his mate however.

We shot at a red last season crossing a frozen river. Missed him but then heard this weird barking yip sound like in the video. Walked around the corner and this Red had climbed a down tree 20 feet in the air and wouldn't shut up. He got the hornet from 50 yards. Not sure if it was the same dog or his mate however.

Back