Photon XT 6.5 x50L reveiws

Never tried the 6.5x but several times I've wished the 4.6x was more like 3x. You can't shoot them if you can't find them in the scope. Its not like daytime where you can just look up and use your hand eye coordination to see them and guide the scope on; once you look up, everything is dark! I've had far more close ones at night than ones I've seen at a distance with the thermal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simojoNever tried the 6.5x but several times I've wished the 4.6x was more like 3x. You can't shoot them if you can't find them in the scope. Its not like daytime where you can just look up and use your hand eye coordination to see them and guide the scope on; once you look up, everything is dark! I've had far more close ones at night than ones I've seen at a distance with the thermal.

This is a very important piece of information that all should take notice of. So when purchasing a unit for any type of night time scanning or shooting, pay very close attention to the FOV. For night time hunting, the larger the FOV the better as Simojo notes.....you can only see the FOV presented by the NV instrument you are using, everything else is dark. Kevin

A 6.5 might work well on a bait site, but I can't see how it would be useful for calling in the coyote business. They probably built it for hog shooting at night, but after the first shot would be hard to find the hogs running.

Folks,

Here is a quick estimate of how you can compare FOV on various scopes when the manufacturer only discloses the FOV in degrees or discloses the FOV at 100 meters (109 yards). Multiply the degree FOV by 5.25 feet to get an estimate of how wide the FOV will be at 100 yards. Here are the FOV on the two scopes mentioned in this topic:

Photon 4.6x42 has a 4.5 degree FOV = 4.5 x 5.25 = 23.6 feet horizontally at 100 yards
Photon 6.5x50 has a 3.5 degree FOV = 3.5 x 5.25 = 18.4 feet horizontally at 100 yards

Kevin

Not all that much difference. I reckon the 50mm objective makes up some for the increased power. Thanks for the tutorial!

Originally Posted By: Alan D Kevin do you sell Photons? PM with a price if you do. thx! Mark

Alan D,

I started selling the Photons around July 2014 but by the time we got to the hunting season Sellmark could not deliver on my purchase orders so I stopped selling them. Since then I found a Gen 1 Scope (Armasight Vampire) that is priced a little higher than the Photons but I think you get more bang for the buck on this unit. Pros/Cons as I see it are listed below:

Pros: Wide FOV (55 ft at 100 yards both horizontally and vertically), Longer battery life (approximately 40 hours on a single CR123 vs 4-5 hours on the Photons), higher resolution (60 to 72 lp/mm versus 38 lp/mm for the Photons, External IR (T-20 850nm) included in our Vampire Package....much longer range that the on board IR on the Photons, Quick attach/detach mechanism versus standard rings for the Photons.

Cons: Large objective lens on the Vampire (108mm) makes them bulkier and a sight plane that is well above the rifle bore, Vampire weight - 3.0 lbs versus the Photon's 1.48 lbs, less magnification at 3X versus 4.6X and 6.5X for the Photons, multiple reticle options for the Photons versus a single red on green reticle on the Vampire, Photon's also have memory settings for X/Y coordinates so you can use on multiple firearms.

There could be a few more Pros/Cons but these are the more critical ones that I can think of. The price we have on the Vampire is $795 which includes the External HTRN T-20 850nm IR device. That makes this unit effective out to 200 or more yards for coyotes and even further for hogs. You would likely have to equip the Photon with something similar to the T-20 to get that type of range.

You can check out our field review of the Vampire here:

You can check out our prices here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.c...p/nvnds1400.htm

Kevin

Originally Posted By: weekenderDoes the Vampire have a video output port?

No it does not, another Con for the Vampire if you are into recording your hunts. Kevin

Back