6.5 Grendel vs 223 in trajectory/ballistics.

Jacob_Hanan

Thinking of building a 6.5 G upper for deer hunting. How do the shoot out to 200-250 yards with the lighter bullets? How high will I have to sight in at 100 to be dead on at 200 and how far will it drop from 200 to 300?

I just want a upper for deer hunting for my dad. He's used to a 6mm remington. I know it won't shoot that flat. But it's a ar15.

And why not a 6ppc to shoot 85-90 grain bullets. I'd think that would be a accurate flat shooter.

Unless I'm wrong, Stu Farish has had a Grendel for quite a while. Unless he sees this thread and responds, you may want to shoot him a message.

What bullet do you want to use? Factory number crunch is easy with JBM's free program. If you are not a handloader the 6PPC is off the table. If you are and like 6MM then the 243 LBC, Grendel based, would be a good one. It leaves the PPC in the dust.

Greg

On the 6 PPC, I think the only breakdown has been the opportunity to shoot the 6mm AR, or cartridges like the 6x6.8 that have a bit more horsepower. Being a bit short with a fat case and steep shoulder, I HEAR that the 6 PPC has issues with feeding issues, but the 6.5Grendel isn't so differently shaped.

If you're considering 6PPC, I'd assume that he's reloading, in which case, I'd suggest looking at the 6x6.8.

Otherwise, the 6.5 Grendel is solid.

Hornady's product pages show a 200yrd zero out of a 24" barrel, so the 123grn SSt is at 2580fps, and 1.8" high at 100yrds, 200yrd zero, 8.7" low at 300yrds. They also suggest that a 16" barrel will drop down to 2350fps, so that would put a little more height on the 100yrd point, and a little more drop on the 300yrd mark. I haven't played with light bullets in the Grendel, and don't have one anymore to try it - I was wanting a deer rifle, so I didn't mind the extra bullet weight.

Not to say that the 223rem won't cleanly kill deer, but if you're looking for a deer rifle upper, there are a lot of other cartridges that are a lot better at the job - the 6.5G, 6.8SPC, 6mm AR, and 6x6.8 being some of them.

My personal choice, after having been through a 6mm AR, 6.8SPC, 6.5G, x39, 450Bush, and 458Soc, was to go back to the 6.8SPC. My next barrel for that rifle will be a 6x6.8spc.

Like GL Shooter said, check out JBM Ballistics website to play around comparing the two. Personally I run 123gr SSTs in my 20" Grendel and about 2550 FPS. I have taken a few deer beyond 250yds. Just crunching the numbers with the 123gr SST and a 200 yd zero; you are about 1.5" high at 100 and about 8.5" low at 300yd. I am sure it would be a bit better with the lighter bullets, but IMO the 123gr are dang near perfect for deer....not so much on coyotes.
lol.gif

I sight mine in for 150, that makes it about 1/2" high at 100 yards and 2" low at 200 yards. It also corresponds perfectly with my mildot retical to give me pretty decently spaced dope out to about 600 yards. But I'm one of the lucky ones that gets alittle more fps out of my barrel. I get about 2650 fps 10 feet from the muzzle on my chrony.
58D1ED3C-8FC5-4C47-9A50-DC0FC8A40A1F_zpssihnkawa.png

Not sure what you are considering a lighter bullet, 100 grain Barns TTSX would be a OK option. Hornady 123 grain SST seem to be the favored bullet. I am sure there are a lot of other bullets that would work just fine. I feel the Grendel may be near an Ideal deer rifle. JMHO

Only thing is I favor a bolt action CZ527. Just might be a factory CZ527 Grendel offering b4 long.

Originally Posted By: 17LoonyI feel the Grendel may be near an Ideal deer rifle. JMHO

It's pretty darn close! I have a 6.8 SPC II and it works really well also. But in a small frame AR they both make short work of medium sized game.

I also had a 6mm LBC that I feel like would have been an excellent deer rifle but I sold it before I ever got to use it. It would shoot 85-87 grain bullets at 2800 fps. But you need to hand load to shoot either the 6mm LBC or the 6-6.8, either would be pretty decent. But I'll take the extra ft/lbs the grendel and 6.8 give me for quick kills on Medium game.

Thanks guys. Yes I handload and I use a weatherby mV in 257 weatherby but my dads 6 mm remington, reminton auto that's starting to have some problems. I'm just trying to find a caliber that will be "close" to the 6mm rem so he won't have to change his way of shooting. lol.

The 6mm lbc is just a 6.5 G necked down to 6mm? Can you buy brass for the 6 lbc? Or just neck down the 6.5 Grendel?

I'll continue the research but the 6 and 6.5 Grendel sound like what I need.

We hunt and live in NW Ok, so much of the time shots are 250-300 yards. And even longer when using my 257. The flatter shooting the better.
Thanks again guys!

Originally Posted By: Jacob_HananThanks guys. Yes I handload and I use a weatherby mV in 257 weatherby but my dads 6 mm remington, reminton auto that's starting to have some problems. I'm just trying to find a caliber that will be "close" to the 6mm rem so he won't have to change his way of shooting. lol.

The 6mm lbc is just a 6.5 G necked down to 6mm? Can you buy brass for the 6 lbc? Or just neck down the 6.5 Grendel?

I'll continue the research but the 6 and 6.5 Grendel sound like what I need.

We hunt and live in NW Ok, so much of the time shots are 250-300 yards. And even longer when using my 257. The flatter shooting the better.
Thanks again guys!

The straight neck down on the 6.5 Grendel is what Black Hole calls a 243 LBC other versions are called by different names though performance would be indistinguishable. It is a single pass through a bushing die, Ritch and I use Reddings, and load with a Hornady 6MM seater. Easy Peasy.

It would make an excellent Oklahoma deer round with phenomenal accuracy.

Greg

Jacob I have a 264 lbc (same ammo as 6.5G but slightly different chamber), and have a 243 lbc barrel on the way from Ritch. Either one would be good but the 243 lbc is going to be closer to the trajectory your Dad is used to. When mine gets here I will post up what I get for results on the target and chronograph.

A few years ago most would have steered you towards a 243 WSSM. That still wouldn't be a bad choice if you could find brass. That round would give up nothing to the 6mm Rem, and in an AR15 to boot.

Back