Opinions on bullet weight for a 1:12 twist

DW Hanna

My first venture into reloading for 22-250 was with a Winchester model 70, heavy barrel, with a 1:14 twist. Using nothing more than a Lee Loader kit, Federal fire formed brass, Winchester primers,Hornaday 53gr HP match bullets, setting on top of 32.5 gr of Accurate 2520, oh and a plastic hammer. Not hot loads by any stretch of the imagination, but insanely accurate.

The new Savage has a 1:12 twist barrel, faster than the 1:14, but still a slower twist. Should this load produce similar results in the 1:12 barrel? I'm looking to keep bullet weights between 50 and 63gr. Obviously every gun will shoot a given load a little different, so I'll have to play with it a bit, but should this be a good start point?

Last edited:
You will have to keep the brass separate from each rifle. I dip the cases in Insta Blue about 1/4 the way up the case, and it is semi permanent, leave the spend primers in the case.

Now, You will have to work up a load for each rifle, but they may be very similar with each having a seating depth that it likes.

Hornady sells a "set" of ogive gauges, buy them, as they have other uses as you will discover.

Welcome to the reloading world.

+1 on what ackleyman said

I want to add on the brass if you have different brands then keep them all separate for sure, this helps tremendously with accuracy. I do know that brass is expensive, but it would be much better to just start off with new brass for the Savage. You will want to wring out the best and most accurate ammo for it. And you should not have a problem with a Savage.

Back