17 HMR split necks?

GWHunter

Mounted a new scope on a 17 HMR that I haven't shot much in awhile and during sighting in noticed I was having a few spent rounds sticking in the chamber. Upon fishing them out every one that was stuck had a split neck. Fired three different brands of ammo and it happened occasionally with each brand. Any idea what would cause this? The rounds all still grouped with each other no fliers.

Probably at least 5 years old. Would that make a difference? I've shot alot of center fire stuff that was way older and no problems.

The older Hornady stuff I had (red and white box) had quite a few split necks. You would see the powder burn mark on in the crack or split. Well one day I had a primer lite,but not the powder and the bullet lodged in the barrel. Lucky for me I pay attention to stuff and quit shooting.
After talking with a friend ,he told me to call Hornady,so I did. IIRC, they said the older batch of brass was to hard and brittle and was splitting from neck tension. They also said a lot of the splits are already there before you shoot it. They replaced all I had and gave me extra to cover my shipping.

Take a look and see if you find any unfired splits.

PS . I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds of HMR.

I will check that thanks. I had a few do something similar. Sounded like a misfire, no primer went off. Was hunting so just ejected it for the next round out of the mag. Next round would not chamber and found I had a bullet that had pulled from the case just ahead of the chamber. I wanted to check to see if I even had a primer strike but couldn't find the case in the leaves. It happened a few times. So now piece of brass wire with me hunting.

Back