Faster or slower powder? Does it make a difference?

Hidalgo

I know that lighter / heavier bullets usually result in powder preferences on the faster or slower end of the scale, but do you tend to use the faster or slower powder when given the option? What makes you decide? Do you have personal preferences?

I've never really thought about this before, and it suddenly occurred to me that I am using faster powders on virtually every rifle and caliber that I load for.

I've also always heard the the more you can fill the case the better, thus slower powders are the best choice. Do you guys find this to be true?

Not trying to start any debates or disagreements, but I thought this might be a decent topic to discuss and I'm curious how you guys decide on your powders of choice.

Thats a really good question and without going all scientific with data. I would say I do tend to use the slowest burning powder I can based on bullet weight, barrel length and cartridge. Some shoot well with slow some with fast. Thats where I am up in the air about the topic because data doesnt always work in the real world with specific rifles.

That IS a very good question. I was taught [to believe] the same principle way back in the beginning of my handloading journey. I am not 100% positive it is always true.

The longer I live the more I realize that belief and knowledge are two entirely different things, and that there are many things I believe but damned few that I know.

I shoot for a case full of powder. Most of the time that ends up being the slower powders.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996I shoot for a case full of powder. Most of the time that ends up being the slower powders.

Regards,
hm

I never intend for that to happen, but it seems like all of my best loads end up that way.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: hm1996I shoot for a case full of powder. Most of the time that ends up being the slower powders.

Regards,
hm

I never intend for that to happen, but it seems like all of my best loads end up that way.

I respect both of you guys' opinions and experience. And that makes me wonder if I should reevaluate some of my loads that were developed with powders on the faster end of the scale for the caliber.
huh.gif

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: hm1996I shoot for a case full of powder. Most of the time that ends up being the slower powders.

Regards,
hm

I respect both of you guys' opinions and experience. And that makes me wonder if I should reevaluate some of my loads that were developed with powders on the faster end of the scale for the caliber.
huh.gif

Hey, if the load shoots, go for it. I have a few really good loads w/faster powders. Then there's that darn 300 WM that doesn't like anything!
mad.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: hm1996I shoot for a case full of powder. Most of the time that ends up being the slower powders.

Regards,
hm

huh.gif

If you dont mind me asking, what calibers and what powder?

When I begin developing a load I tend to start with the slower powders that are deemed appropriate for the cartridge and chosen bullet. Occasionally I discover a faster powder results in better accuracy for that rifle/bullet combination, or that rifle regardless of which bullet I select. I would have to do a little research through the load logs I have for each rifle (and pistol) to tell for sure the frequency of this occurrence.

My stuff seems to trend the same (full) with one exception, my recent custom 22-243 Winchester. I started with R22 and it was basically full but I was satisfied with accuracy. Someone on here suggested R17 and it now shoots lights out and there's a good bit of room in the case. What was odd was the velocity actually came up a little with the R17 also.

Originally Posted By: tugboater

If you dont mind me asking, what calibers and what powder?

.243 / 85 grain and IMR4064 (some use H4350 or Varget)

6.5 Creed / 120 grain and IMR4064 (most use H4350, Varget, RL17)

I don't have a love affair with 4064, but it just shoots good in those rifles.

One thing you can take to the bank, a custom barrel cut with a good chamber will shoot lights out with many bullets and powders. I can not stress this enough.

There has been the "wives tale" of filling a case full of powder for best accuracy for a long time, and in some cases it is true. Then again, you just never know till you try.

Some people are very superstitious when it comes to this, I have a brother that is like this. He wants the bullet to sit on top of the powder...forget the whole issue of getting close to the lands,etc. He also will not pick up a quarter found in the parking lot that has "tails" showing, and always hands a borrowed pocket knife back the way it was handed to him.

Through the Nosler and Sierra Manual, you can get a decent idea of what might be the most accurate load for a powder, and I love that Nosler manual that has proved fantastic over the years.

Also, www.centerfirecentral has load data reported by shooters, but you have to be real careful of internet loads because a rifle that has a lot of freebore or that is just about shot out will take a lot more powder than a new barrel. Also, once in a while you just run across an idiot that has a death wish(Evil Kineval) in his reloads.

Im right there with you on the 243 ( 87gr bullet and IMR4064). I wont be changing that any time soom.

260 Rem / 123,140gr and H4350. This is a great combo for me.

Ive never really thought much about weather the case is crammed full or not. Im usually looking for an appropriate powder that is not temp sensitive.

I take advise from a few guys I really trust, then go from there. Maybe ive been lucky or my rifles have just been ( sluts) but Ive never had to find a different powder to get my rifles to shoot good.

But I guess if a guy likes to tinker and shoot....

Last edited:
For whatever reason, my rifle (6.5) prefers 4064 with the 120s, but it does shoot H4350 well with 130-140 bullets.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoFor whatever reason, my rifle (6.5) prefers 4064 with the 120s, but it does shoot H4350 well with 130-140 bullets.

Did you try H4350 with your 120's?

Originally Posted By: tugboaterOriginally Posted By: HidalgoFor whatever reason, my rifle (6.5) prefers 4064 with the 120s, but it does shoot H4350 well with 130-140 bullets.

Yep. Couldn't get it to group as well. It was a tad faster, but the accuracy wasn't as good.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: tugboaterOriginally Posted By: HidalgoFor whatever reason, my rifle (6.5) prefers 4064 with the 120s, but it does shoot H4350 well with 130-140 bullets.

Yep. Couldn't get it to group as well. It was a tad faster, but the accuracy wasn't as good.

Im at 44.5grs with new brass and 44.8grs with fire formed brass. I did go past that, but backed it back down. this is my accuracy load for the 123 Amax. Its right around 3000fps.

But... If you have a load your happy with, shoots good, happy with speeds, and can shoot in any temp.... Seems like thats the place to be!

Originally Posted By: tugboater... If you have a load your happy with, shoots good, happy with speeds, and can shoot in any temp.... Seems like thats the place to be!

Thanks for the input!

I think that's the case with most any rifle or load. I'm not overly concerned about the particular powder that I happen to use unless there is a better option that is better for a REASON, and I do like to learn from the guys here. Asking questions and getting replies can bring things up that I might not have thought to try. And there is a LOT out there that can be learned if we are willing to listen and implement suggestions from those that have been there.

Hidalgo, 4064 is my go to powder for my 308. The 243 is the same case and the 6.5 Creed is similar. It just seems to be a great powder for that size case with that size bullet. It just works.

Back